This Christmas Rice Krispie Treats Recipe is the perfect treat for the holiday season. Always a fan favorite on every Christmas cookie tray and amazing for cookie exchanges, this classic recipe is a great way to get into the holiday spirit.
Classic rice krispie treats have always been one of my favorite desserts. Taking traditional rice krispie squares and throwing a Christmas spin on them makes them the perfect holiday treat.
They are such an easy treat to whip up with only a handful of ingredients. They are super fun to make with kids of all ages and are perfect for the dessert table over the holidays or for a cookie exchange.
If you want to spread some extra holiday cheer, use a cookie cutter to make these squares into Christmas tree rice krispie treats. Yummy treats are a must at this time of year so why not make them a little fancy?
Another fun idea is using M&M’s and pretzels and making them into adorable reindeer rice krispie treats. Taking an easy holiday treat and adding a fun addition like that will have the kids in their glory!
Table of Contents
INGREDIENTS FOR CHRISTMAS RICE KRISPIES TREATS
You will need the following ingredients listed below to make these crispy treats (the exact measurements and full recipe are in the recipe card at the bottom of this post):
- Rice Krispie Cereal – always double check ingredients to make sure they are gluten free if you want to keep this recipe gluten free.
- Butter – can use vegan butter to keep this recipe dairy free.
- Marshmallows – I used regular size marshmallows here, however mini marshmallows work great as well.
- Vanilla Extract
- Christmas Sprinkles – alternatively you can use red and green m&m’s.
- Optional – melted chocolate, white chocolate chips, a crushed candy cane, white frosting, green food coloring, etc.
HOW TO MAKE THIS CUTE CHRISTMAS DESSERT
Lightly grease a 9×13 inch baking pan with cooking spray or line with parchment paper or wax paper.
In a large saucepan, melt butter over low heat.
Using a wooden spoon, add marshmallows and stir until melted completely. Remove from heat, then add vanilla extract.
Quickly add the rice krispies and mix well until the cereal is well coated.
Using a buttered spatula add the melted marshmallow mixture to the prepared pan and push down slightly.
Add crushed twin bar and sprinkles. Push down on them.
Allow the krispy treats to sit at room temperature until set (approximately 20 minutes). Cut into 16 pieces and enjoy!
HOW TO STORE THESE DELICIOUS TREATS
Like a classic rice krispie treat recipe, this fun Christmas version needs to be stored in an air tight container or bag. If you want to keep them fresh for as long as possible you can also wrap each individual treat tightly in saran wrap.
This will help keep them chewy and soft for much longer.
HOW TO AVOID MAKING THESE CHRISTMAS TREATS TOO HARD AND FIRM
The biggest mistake many make when making rice krispie treats is by pressing them into the pan too hard. Many recipes say to apply firm pressure onto the top of them while adding them to the pan, however I do not recommend this.
Compacting them will take away from the fluffy texture. Pressing them into the pan ever so lightly is a much better way to keep them soft and chewy instead of hard as rock.
WHY YOU WILL LOVE THESE HOMEMADE RICE KRISPIE TREATS
- Such an easy recipe with very simple ingredients.
- Way tastier than the krispie treats you buy from grocery stores.
- Leftover rice krispie treats will stay fresh in an airtight container or ziplock bag for 5 days on the counter.
- Perfect for Christmas parties, school events, or any type of holiday party!
- Can switch these up with gel food coloring, adding a mini tootsie roll, or using candy melts and candy sprinkles to add Christmas trees to the tops of the squares.
- Another reason why this is such a great recipe is because they are allergen friendly. They are typically always gluten free and can be made vegan by using my 4 Ingredient Vegan Rice Krispie Treats recipe.
OTHER DELICIOUS HOLIDAY SWEET TREAT RECIPES
- No Bake Peanut Butter Balls (5 Ingredients)
- 30 Easy Christmas Cookie Recipes With Few Ingredients
- Christmas Chocolate Peppermint Truffles
- Heart Shaped Jam Thumbprint Cookies
- Gluten Free Dairy Free Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 3 tbsp butter
- 6 cups rice krispie cereal
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 50 regular size marshmallows, or 6 cups mini marshmallows
- red & green sprinkles
- milk chocolate, chopped
- Lightly grease a 9x13" baking pan.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over low heat.
- Add marshmallows and stir until melted completely. Remove from heat. Then add vanilla extract.
- Quickly add the rice krispies and mix well until the cereal is well coated.
- Using a buttered spatula add the rice krispies to the prepared pan and push down slightly.
- Add chopped chocolate bar and sprinkles. Push down on them slightly as well.
- Allow the rice krispies to sit at room temperature until set (approx 20 minutes). Cut into 16 pieces and enjoy!
Serving Size:1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 207Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 6mgSodium: 107mgCarbohydrates: 44gFiber: 0gSugar: 26gProtein: 2g
The nutrition information provided is calculated based on industry-standard software and should be used as a general guide only. The information may vary depending on ingredient substitutions, cooking techniques, and individual serving sizes. It is the responsibility of the reader to ensure the accuracy and appropriateness of the nutritional information provided. Always consult a qualified healthcare provider for personalized medical or nutritional advice.
I love to bake, cook, exercise, and document all of the above. Nutrition is not low fat. It is not low calorie. It’s not feeling deprived or being hungry all the time. It’s nourishing your body with real, whole foods so that you are consistently satisfied and energized to live your life to the fullest! Read more…