Discover the magic of the season with our Christmas Crack recipe – a delightful fusion of buttery toffee, rich chocolate, and a sprinkle of festive toppings. Quick, easy, and irresistibly addictive, this holiday treat is perfect for gifting, sharing, or indulging in sweet moments of seasonal joy.
‘Tis the season for indulgence, and what better way to celebrate than with a treat that’s as fun to make as it is to eat? Enter this Christmas Crack recipe, a sweet and salty confection that perfectly balances rich toffee, melted chocolate, and a sprinkle of festive toppings.
This delightful holiday snack is not only delicious but also incredibly easy to whip up, making it a perfect addition to your Christmas festivities.
Table of Contents
WHAT IS CHRISTMAS CRACK?
Christmas Crack is a beloved holiday treat that combines sweet and salty flavors to create an irresistibly addictive confection. Also known as saltine cracker toffee or saltine cracker candy.
The base typically consists of a layer of saltine crackers coated in a rich toffee made from butter and brown sugar, baked until bubbly. After baking, the toffee-covered crackers are topped with melted chocolate, and festive decorations such as crushed candy canes, nuts, or holiday sprinkles are added.
Once cooled and set, the treat is broken into uneven pieces, resembling “cracked” toffee, hence its name. Christmas Crack is known for its simplicity, quick preparation, and delightful combination of textures and flavors, making it a popular homemade gift and festive addition to holiday celebrations.
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS CHRISTMAS CRACK RECIPE
- Quick and Easy:With minimal ingredients and a straightforward process, Christmas Crack is a quick and easy holiday treat that doesn’t compromise on flavor.
- Addictively Delicious:The combination of buttery toffee, rich chocolate, and crunchy saltine crackers creates a flavor profile that’s irresistibly addictive – perfect for satisfying sweet cravings.
- Customizable Creativity:Personalize your Christmas Crack with a variety of festive toppings. From candy canes to nuts, the options are endless, allowing you to tailor it to your taste.
- Shareable Delight:Break the Christmas Crack into shareable pieces, making it an ideal treat for gifting, holiday parties, or a festive addition to your dessert platter.
- Kid-Friendly Fun:Get the whole family involved in the holiday spirit by making Christmas Crack together. It’s a fun and delicious activity that creates lasting memories.
SIMPLE INGREDIENTS YOU NEED FOR THE CHRISTMAS CRACKER CANDY
You will need the following ingredients listed below to make this saltine toffee recipe (the exact measurements, nutrition information and the printable recipe card are all below):
- Unsalted butter
- Dark brown sugar
- Sea salt
- Pure vanilla extract
- Saltine crackers – alternatively can use graham crackers for a graham cracker toffee.
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips – dark chocolate chips or milk chocolate chips also work.
- Festive toppings – melted white chocolate chips, crushed candy canes, chopped nuts, holiday sprinkles, toffee bits, etc.
HOW TO MAKE
Preheat your oven to 300 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Place a single layer of saltine crackers on the parchment-lined baking sheet, ensuring they cover the entire surface.
In a saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter, brown sugar, and salt. Stir continuously until the mixture comes to a boil. Let it boil for 3-4 minutes without stirring, then remove from heat. Stir in the vanilla extract.
Pour the toffee mixture evenly over the saltine crackers, spreading it with a spatula to coat them completely.
Bake in the preheated oven for 4-6 minutes or until the toffee is bubbling and has a rich, caramel color.
Remove from the oven and immediately sprinkle the semisweet chocolate chips over the hot toffee. Allow them to melt for a few minutes, then spread the melted chocolate evenly with a spatula. Can also melt the chocolate ahead of time in the microwave in 30-second increments and pour over the christmas crack toffee.
If desired, melt the white chocolate chips and drizzle over the dark chocolate for a decorative touch.
While the chocolate is still soft, sprinkle crushed candy canes, chopped nuts, or holiday sprinkles over the top for a festive finish.
Cut into squares while the candy recipe is still warm. Then allow the Christmas Crack to cool completely. You can speed up the process by placing it in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes. Enjoy!
- Room Temperature:Allow the Christmas Crack recipe to cool and set completely. Once set, store it in an airtight container at room temperature for up to one week. Ensure the container has a tight seal to preserve the freshness of the treat.
- Refrigeration (Extended Storage):For longer shelf life, especially if your environment is warm, consider storing Christmas Crack in the refrigerator. Place it in an airtight container, and it can stay fresh for up to two weeks.
- Freezing (Extended Storage):Christmas Crack can be frozen for extended storage. Wrap individual pieces or the entire batch tightly in plastic wrap and place in a freezer-safe container or bag. It can be frozen for up to three months. Thaw in the refrigerator before serving.
- Layer Separation:If stacking multiple layers of Christmas Crack in a container, place parchment paper between the layers to prevent pieces from sticking together and maintain their individual shapes.
CAN I USE A DIFFERENT TYPE OF CRACKER FOR THIS CHRISTMAS CANDY?
While saltine crackers are traditional, you can experiment with other crackers like graham crackers or pretzels for a unique twist on the classic Christmas Crack recipe.
WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO PREVENT THIS CHRISTMAS TREAT FROM STICKING?
Ensure the parchment paper is well greased with nonstick cooking spray or a thin layer of butter to prevent the toffee from sticking during baking.
CAN I USE MILK CHOCOLATE INSTEAD OF SEMI-SWEET CHOCOLATE FOR THE TOPPING?
Absolutely! Customize your Christmas Crack by using your preferred chocolate. Milk chocolate, dark chocolate, or a combination can all be delicious choices.
CAN I MAKE THIS CHRISTMAS CRACKER RECIPE IN ADVANCE FOR HOLIDAY GIFTS?
Certainly! Christmas Crack is a great gift around that time of year. Prepare it in advance, store it in an airtight container, and it should stay fresh for your gifting needs.
CAN I MAKE THIS GREAT RECIPE WITHOUT NUTS?
Yes, you can omit nuts entirely or replace them with seeds, dried fruit, or other non-nut alternatives to make a nut-free version.
Other Holiday Desserts You May Want To Try!
- Gluten Free Vegan Peanut Butter Cookies
- Chewy Double Chocolate Peppermint Cookies
- Soft And Chewy Ginger Molasses Cookies
- Gluten Free Chocolate Fudge Crinkle Cookies
- Chocolate Caramel Shortbread Bars
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Crunch Bites
- Gluten-Free Christmas Tree Brownies
- 35-45 saltine crackers
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/3 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Optional toppings- holiday m&m's, pretzels, faky sea salt, etc
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place a single layer of saltine crackers on the parchment-lined baking sheet, ensuring they cover the entire surface.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter and brown sugar. Stir continuously until the mixture comes to a boil. Let it boil for 3 minutes then remove from heat. Stir in the vanilla extract.
- Pour the toffee mixture evenly over the saltine crackers, spreading it with a spatula to coat them completely.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 4-6 minutes or until the toffee is bubbling and has a rich, caramel color.
- Remove from the oven and immediately sprinkle the semisweet chocolate chips over the hot toffee. Allow them to melt for a few minutes, then spread the melted chocolate evenly with a spatula. Can also melt the chocolate ahead of time in the microwave in 30-second increments and pour over the christmas crack toffee.
- If desired, melt white chocolate chips and drizzle over the semi-sweet chocolate for a decorative touch.
- While the chocolate is still soft, sprinkle toppings over the top for a festive finish.
- Cut into squares while the candy recipe is still warm. Then allow the Christmas Crack to cool completely. You can speed up the process by placing it in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes. Enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 323Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 41mgSodium: 91mgCarbohydrates: 34gFiber: 1gSugar: 25gProtein: 2g
The nutrition information provided is calculated based on industry-standard software and should be used as a general guide only. The information may vary depending on ingredient substitutions, cooking techniques, and individual serving sizes. It is the responsibility of the reader to ensure the accuracy and appropriateness of the nutritional information provided. Always consult a qualified healthcare provider for personalized medical or nutritional advice.
IF YOU TRIED THIS DELICIOUS TREAT PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT IN THE COMMENT SECTION AND STAR RATING. I LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOUR CREATIONS! YOU CAN PIN THIS RECIPE ON PINTEREST OR SHARE ON INSTAGRAM BY TAGGING @basicswithbails and #basicswithbails
I love to bake, cook, exercise, and document all of the above. Nutrition is not low fat. It is not low calorie. It’s not feeling deprived or being hungry all the time. It’s nourishing your body with real, whole foods so that you are consistently satisfied and energized to live your life to the fullest! Read more…