Indulge in the bold flavors of healthy buffalo chicken dip with minimal simple ingredients. Packed with protein and lower in calories, this crowd-pleaser offers the perfect balance between a creamy texture, delicious taste and nutrition.
Are you a fan of the zesty, tangy goodness of buffalo chicken dip but looking for a healthier twist? Look no further!
In this blog post, we’ll show you how to create a delicious and nutritious version of this crowd-pleasing classic. Say goodbye to the guilt and hello to a healthier take on your favorite dip.
This recipe is a great option for football season, super bowl sunday, your next party, or really any special occasion. If you love spicy food it’s sure to become your new favorite appetizer.
Table of Contents
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THE HEALTHY BUFFALO CHICKEN DIP RECIPE
- Bold and Balanced Flavor: It retains the bold, spicy, and tangy flavor of classic buffalo chicken dip while offering a balanced and healthier option.
- Protein-Packed: Packed with shredded chicken breast, Greek yogurt, and cream cheese, this dip is a protein powerhouse, making it a satisfying and nutritious choice.
- Lower in Calories: By using light cream cheese and Greek yogurt, this recipe trims down the calorie content without sacrificing creaminess or taste.
- Easy to Make: It’s a breeze to prepare, making it a go-to for quick and delicious snacks or party appetizers.
- Perfect for All Occasions: Whether it’s a game day, a family gathering, or a casual snack, this dip fits any occasion and is sure to please a crowd.
- Customizable Spice Level: You can adjust the spice level to your preference, catering to both spice lovers and those who prefer a milder kick.
- Healthier Dippers: Pair it with fresh and crunchy vegetable sticks or whole-grain crackers for a guilt-free snack.
Indulge in the rich and satisfying flavors of buffalo chicken dip without compromising your health or dietary goals. This recipe is a win-win, offering the best of both worlds: great taste and a healthier option.
INGREDIENTS FOR THE EASY BUFFALO CHICKEN DIP RECIPE
You will need the following ingredients listed below to make this healthy appetizer (the exact measurements and full recipe are in the recipe card at the bottom of the post):
- Shredded cooked chicken breasts – rotisserie chicken or baked. It’s also a great way to use leftover chicken.
- Cottage cheese
- Plain greek yogurt
- Buffalo hot sauce – I like using frank’s hot sauce
- Shredded mozzarella cheese – can also use cheddar cheese or pepper jack if desired
- Garlic powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Diced green onions
- Optional – blue cheese crumbles, full fat cream cheese, low fat cream cheese, onion powder, sour cream, goat cheese, etc.
HOW TO MAKE
Preheat Your Oven
Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F.
Prepare the Chicken
Shred the cooked chicken breast and set it aside.
Mix the Ingredients
In a large mixing bowl, combine the cottage cheese, frank’s red hot sauce, shredded mozzarella, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Stir until all the ingredients are well combined.
Add the Chicken
Gently fold in the shredded chicken, making sure it’s evenly distributed throughout the mixture.
Prepare for Baking
Transfer the mixture to an oven-safe baking dish. You can lightly drizzle a bit of olive oil on top for a golden finish.
Place the baking dish in the preheated oven and bake for about 25-30 minutes or until the dip is hot and bubbling, and the top is slightly golden brown.
Once your healthy buffalo chicken dip is ready, remove it from the oven. Garnish with sliced green onions and a drizzle of hot sauce, if desired. Serve it hot with your favorite dippers like carrot sticks, celery sticks, or whole-grain crackers.
HOW TO STORE
- Allow the dip to cool to room temperature before storing. Hot food can raise the temperature in your refrigerator, potentially affecting other items.
- Transfer the leftover dip to an airtight container. Make sure it’s sealed tightly to prevent moisture and odors from affecting the dip.
- Label the container with the date to keep track of freshness.
- Place the container in the refrigerator for up to 2-3 days.
- When you’re ready to enjoy your stored buffalo chicken dip, you can reheat it by preheating your oven to 350 degrees F. Place the dip in an oven-safe dish, cover it with aluminum foil, and heat for about 15-20 minutes or until it’s hot and bubbly.
CAN I USE CANNED CHICKEN FOR THIS RECIPE?
While you can use canned chicken, using cooked, shredded chicken breast (such as rotisserie or baked) typically provides better texture and flavor.
CAN I MAKE THIS DIP SPICIER?
Absolutely! You can adjust the spice level to your preference by adding more buffalo hot sauce or incorporating additional spicy ingredients like crushed red pepper flakes.
HOW DO I AVOID THIS SKINNY BUFFALO CHICKEN DIP FROM GETTING RUNNY?
To avoid a runny buffalo dip, make sure the cooked chicken is well-drained and patted dry before adding it to the mixture. Additionally, avoid using too much buffalo sauce to help maintain the dip’s thickness without excess moisture.
CAN I MAKE THIS DIP IN ADVANCE FOR A PARTY?
Yes, this dip is perfect for preparing in advance. You can store it in the refrigerator and reheat it in the oven just before serving.
WHAT ARE SOME HEALTHY DIPPERS FOR THIS DELICIOUS APPETIZER?
Opt for fresh and crunchy vegetable sticks such as carrot, celery, cucumber, or mini bell peppers. Whole-grain crackers, pita chips, tortilla chips, or whole wheat bread can also be excellent choices.
My Favorite Recipes For Game Day You May Like To Try!
- Easy Low Carb Spinach Dip Recipe
- Easy Pepperoni Pizza Dip Recipe
- 30 Low Carb Air Fryer Recipes
- Vegan Buffalo Cauliflower Wings
- Taco In A Bag (Walking Tacos)
- Air Fryer Tortilla Garlic Bread
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken breasts
- 1 cup cottage cheese, blended in food processor or with immersion blender
- 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup buffalo hot sauce
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella or cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F.
- Shred the cooked chicken breast and set it aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the blended cottage cheese, greek yogurt, frank's red hot sauce, 1/2 of the shredded mozzarella (leave some for top), garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Stir until all the ingredients are well combined.
- Gently fold in the shredded chicken, making sure it's evenly distributed throughout the mixture.
- Transfer the mixture to an oven-safe baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining shredded cheese.
- Place the baking dish in the preheated oven and bake for about 25-30 minutes or until the dip is hot and bubbling, and the top is slightly golden brown.
- Once your healthy buffalo chicken dip is ready, remove it from the oven. Garnish with sliced green onions and a drizzle of hot sauce, if desired. Serve it hot with your favorite dippers like carrot sticks, celery sticks, or whole-grain crackers.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 204Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 69mgSodium: 311mgCarbohydrates: 3gFiber: 0gSugar: 2gProtein: 28g
The nutrition information provided is calculated based on industry-standard software and should be used as a general guide only. The information may vary depending on ingredient substitutions, cooking techniques, and individual serving sizes. It is the responsibility of the reader to ensure the accuracy and appropriateness of the nutritional information provided. Always consult a qualified healthcare provider for personalized medical or nutritional advice.
IF YOU TRIED THIS HEALTHIER BUFFALO CHICKEN DIP RECIPE PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT AND STAR RATING. I LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOUR CREATIONS! YOU CAN PIN THIS RECIPE ON PINTEREST OR SHARE ON INSTAGRAM BY TAGGING @basicswithbails and #basicswithbails
I love to bake, cook, exercise, and document all of the above. Nutrition is not low fat. It is not low calorie. It’s not feeling deprived or being hungry all the time. It’s nourishing your body with real, whole foods so that you are consistently satisfied and energized to live your life to the fullest! Read more…