This Copycat Mcdonalds Egg Mcmuffin Recipe is one of the best breakfast sandwiches out there. It’s an easy recipe made higher in protein with fewer calories, making it a great way to start your day.
The McDonalds egg mcmuffin recipe is a beloved breakfast item for many people, but what if you could make it at home? With a few simple ingredients and some kitchen know-how, you can recreate this fast-food favorite in your own kitchen.
This recipe is great for busy mornings when you want a quick breakfast that still feels like a treat. You can customize the sandwich by adding your favorite toppings, such as avocado, tomato, or hot sauce.
You can also make a batch of these sandwiches and freeze them for later, so you can have a delicious breakfast on-the-go whenever you need it.
Table of Contents
WHAT IS A MCDONALD’S EGG MCMUFFIN RECIPE
A McDonald’s Egg McMuffin is a popular breakfast sandwich consisting of a freshly cracked fried egg, extra lean Canadian bacon, and a slice of American cheese, sandwiched between a toasted English muffin.
The sandwich is a signature menu item of the McDonald’s fast food chain and is served hot and made to order. The sandwich was first introduced in 1972 and has since become a staple breakfast item for many McDonald’s customers.
INGREDIENTS FOR THE HEALTHY COPYCAT MCDONALD’S EGG MCMUFFINS
You will need the following ingredients listed below to make the gluten free bagels (the exact measurements and full recipe are in the recipe card at the bottom of the post):
- Lean ground turkey – alternatively you can use pre-made sausage patties or a slice of Canadian bacon.
- Spices – paprika, garlic powder, and red chili flakes
- Sea salt and black pepper
- English muffins – gluten free if desired.
- American cheese – can use a lower fat slice of cheese to reduce the fat in these sandwiches.
- Butter or cooking spray
HOW TO MAKE THE HOMEMADE EGG MCMUFFIN RECIPE
Add the ground turkey to your large mixing bowl, then add the paprika, garlic powder, red chili flakes, salt & pepper and mix well. Divide into 4 balls and form into patties.
Spray a skillet with non-stick cooking spray over medium heat and add the patties. Cook for 4-5 minutes on each side until they are fully cooked through.
Wipe the pan clean and once again spray with cooking spray. Crack an egg into the skillet inside of a round cookie cutter, ring mold, or mason jar lid and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Use a spatula to break the yolk and spread it around the egg white, creating a thin layer. Cover and cook for about 2 minutes, then flip the egg and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes, until the egg is cooked to your liking.
Toast the english muffins in a toaster or in the oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit (175 degrees Celsius). You can lightly butter them once they’re toasted.
Assemble the Egg McMuffins by placing the cheese slices on the bottom half of each English muffin. Add the turkey sausage patty, then top with the cooked egg.
Place the top half of the English muffin on top of the egg. If you want a more authentic McDonald’s experience, wrap the sandwiches in parchment paper and let them sit for a minute or two to allow the cheese to melt.
You now have a homemade version of the iconic Egg McMuffin. Serve with hash browns if you desire.
HOW TO STORE THE EASY EGG MCMUFFIN RECIPE
- Let them cool: Allow the mcdonalds egg mcmuffin recipe to cool down to room temperature before storing them. This will help prevent moisture buildup inside the container.
- Wrap them: Wrap each Egg McMuffin individually in plastic wrap, aluminum foil or paper towel. This is the best way to help keep them fresh and prevent them from drying out or absorbing other flavors.
- Place in a container: Place the wrapped Egg McMuffins in an airtight container. This will help protect them from air and moisture, which can cause them to spoil faster.
- Refrigerate: Store the container of Egg McMuffins in the refrigerator. They will last for up to 3-4 days if stored properly.
- Reheat: When you are ready to eat, remove the plastic wrap or foil and reheat the Egg McMuffins in the microwave for 30-60 seconds or until warmed through. Alternatively, you can reheat them in a toaster oven or conventional oven set to 350°F for about 10 minutes.
EASY SWAPS TO MAKE YOUR FAVORITE BREAKFAST SANDWICH MORE HEALTHY
There are several simple swaps you can make to make a homemade turkey sausage McMuffin more healthy:
- Use a whole grain English muffin instead of a white English muffin. Whole grain English muffins are higher in fiber and will keep you feeling fuller longer.
- Use a turkey sausage patty instead of a pork sausage patty. Turkey sausage is leaner and contains less saturated fat than pork sausage.
- Add some veggies like sliced tomatoes or avocado to your sandwich. This will increase the nutritional value of your meal and add some extra fiber and healthy fats.
- Use a low-fat cheese or skip the cheese altogether. Cheese is high in saturated fat and calories, so using a lower-fat option or skipping it altogether will make your sandwich healthier.
- Instead of using butter or margarine, lightly toast the English muffin and use a thin spread of mashed avocado or hummus as a healthier alternative.
By making these swaps, you can create a healthier version of a turkey sausage McMuffin that is still delicious and satisfying.
In conclusion, making homemade Egg McMuffins is a fun and easy way to enjoy a fast food favorite from the comfort of your own kitchen. With a few simple ingredients, you can create a delicious and customizable breakfast sandwich that will start your day off on the right foot.
Other Copycat Recipes You May Like To Try
- Air Fryer Orange Chicken (Panda Express Copycat Recipe)
- Copycat Mcdonald’s Big Mac Sauce
- Copycat Starbucks Egg White Bites
- Copycat Starbucks Spinach Feta Wrap
- Starbucks Copycat Chocolate Cake Pops
- 1/2 lb lean ground turkey
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp red chili flakes
- 4 slices cheddar cheese
- 4 eggs
- 4 english muffins, toasted - can use gluten free
- Add the ground turkey to your large mixing bowl, then add the paprika, garlic powder, red chili flakes, salt & pepper and mix well. Divide into 4 balls and form into patties.
- Spray a skillet with non-stick cooking spray over medium heat and add the patties. Cook for 4-5 minutes on each side until they are fully cooked through.
- Wipe the pan clean and once again spray with cooking spray. Crack an egg into the skillet inside of a round cookie cutter or ring mold and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Use a spatula to break the yolk and spread it around the egg white, creating a thin layer. Cover and cook for about 2 minutes, then flip the egg and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes, until the egg is cooked to your liking.
- Toast the english muffins in a toaster or in the oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit (175 degrees Celsius). You can lightly butter them once they're toasted.
- Assemble the Egg McMuffins by placing the cheese slices on the bottom half of each English muffin. Add the turkey sausage patty, then top with the cooked egg.
- Place the top half of the English muffin on top of the egg. If you want a more authentic McDonald's experience, wrap the sandwiches in parchment paper and let them sit for a minute or two to allow the cheese to melt.
Serving Size:1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 447Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 273mgSodium: 1152mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 2gSugar: 0gProtein: 33g
The nutrition information provided is calculated based on industry-standard software and should be used as a general guide only. The information may vary depending on ingredient substitutions, cooking techniques, and individual serving sizes. It is the responsibility of the reader to ensure the accuracy and appropriateness of the nutritional information provided. Always consult a qualified healthcare provider for personalized medical or nutritional advice.
I love to bake, cook, exercise, and document all of the above. Nutrition is not low fat. It is not low calorie. It’s not feeling deprived or being hungry all the time. It’s nourishing your body with real, whole foods so that you are consistently satisfied and energized to live your life to the fullest! Read more…