Bulletproof Coffee For Intermittent Fasting (Keto Recipe)
This Bulletproof Coffee Recipe is the perfect morning coffee for those on a keto diet, low-carb diet or trying to extend their fasting period. It’s made with very basic ingredients and aids in fat burning by prolonging a fasted state.
Let me start by saying, this coffee is not just for those following a ketogenic diet or those with insulin sensitivity. A lot of people drink this for the creamy texture, the high-quality fats, and gut health benefits.
This keto butter coffee is so satisfying and delicious. I know coffee with high-fat content sounds a bit odd at first, but I promise you it is a very good idea.
A few low-carb breakfast ideas you could break your fast with after your keto bulletproof coffee are my Copycat Starbucks Egg White Bites Without a Sous Vide Machine and my Starbucks Bacon And Gruyere Egg Bites.
The Bulletproof coffee brand that was started by Dave Asprey is very well known for hot coffee and unsalted butter. Believe it or not, when you blend the two up in a regular blender or with an immersion blender it becomes a latte.
With the addition of MCT oil it takes it to a whole new level. MCT oil is a supplement made from a type of fat called medium-chain triglycerides.
It’s odorless and is liquid at room temperature which makes it perfect for cold or hot drinks. Any coffee lover will have no clue it’s even in there.
Say goodbye to heavy cream, granulated sugar and sugar-free syrups and hello to this easy keto coffee recipe. The health benefits of bulletproof coffee alone might have you converted before even trying the coffee.
Table of Contents
BULLETPROOF COFFEE INGREDIENTS
You will need the following ingredients listed below to make this creamy coffee (the exact measurements and full recipe are in the recipe card at the bottom of this post):
- Black coffee – can use decaf coffee or organic coffee if you choose. Mold-free coffee beans are ideal, however high-quality coffee works just fine.
- Unsalted Grass-fed butter – just one tablespoon of butter or grass-fed ghee. This may sounds very strange at first but when blended up it creates a latte-like beverage with lots of essential nutrients.
- Coconut oil – or MCT oil. The fatty acids in MCT oil or coconut oil are known to air in fat burning.
- Collagen peptides – optional but they are a great way to get extra collagen and protein into your diet. Add one scoop of unflavored collagen before blending.
HOW TO MAKE A MORNING CUP OF BULLETPROOF COFFEE
Start by brewing your coffee. You can do this in a coffee maker, a french press, or use instant coffee.
Combine all ingredients in a small blender. Blend on low for 5 seconds then turn up to high and blend for 15-20 seconds.
It will be nice and frothy. Pour into a coffee mug and enjoy the best keto coffee.
You can also add a splash of unsweetened almond milk and some sugar free sweetener to your bulletproof coffee. I think the addttion of those things gives the coffee a little bit more sweetness and creaminess, without adding the carbohydrates.
BENEFITS OF BULLETPROOF COFFEE
- The healthy fats from the MCT oil and butter will help you stop food cravings. Regular coffee with cream and sugar can spike the insulin response which will create food cravings, so avoiding them can help in losing weight and having a longer fast.
- The MCT oil will help you feel more clarity and focus. It will also give you more sustained energy.
- You will not feel jittery from the caffeine buzz, which in turn means you won’t feel a crash. This will give you a little boost of energy that will last longer.
DOES BULLETPROOF COFFEE OR BULLETPROOF TEA BREAK A FAST?
The short answer is it depends on how strictly you are taking your fast. If breaking a fast to you is a completely empty stomach with 0 calories then yes it will break your fast.
On the flip side, adding fat in the morning may help you gain the benefits from fasting on bulletproof diet. Less food cravings, lower blood sugar levels, no buzz and crash with regular coffee.
BENEFITS OF INTERMITTENT FASTING
There are so many incredible benefits to an intermittent fasting plan. But first, what is intermittent fasting?
It’s changing your eating pattern where you have shorter periods of eating and longer periods of fasting. There is no “right” amount of hours per each, but the most common is 8/16 where you’re eating for 8 hours and fasting for 16.
The goal of intermittent fasting is not to starve yourself, but just to give your body a break from your eating window to have time to repair.
There are endless studies that show the powerful benefits it can have on brain function and energy levels. It can also reduce inflammation, benefit your heart health, burn fat, and so many other great benefits.
Below is listed the positive effects that it can have on the body.
CAN REDUCE INSULIN RESISTANCE
Lowering your insulin resistance can help lower your risk for type 2 diabetes.
Intermittent fasting has scientifically shown major benefits for insulin which leads to much lower blood sugar levels. This is especially true in men, but studies have shown evidence for both men and women.
CAN HELP WITH FAT LOSS AND FAT AROUND THE STOMACH
Let’s get real for a second, most people who start intermittent fasting are doing it to lose body fat.
It makes sense, the less time you have to eat, means the less meals and calories you’re able to eat. Unless you’re stuffing yourself with your 1-2 meals a day then you should be losing some weight.
The other upside is it can help with hormone function to aid in weight loss. This is also especially true for men, as women have much more complex hormones.
Typically the lower insulin levels, means higher Human Growth Hormone levels and higher norepinephrine which all help the breakdown of body fat so we can use it for energy.
Essentially, intermittent fasting is a double whammy as it reduces the amount of food you’re consuming and boosts your metabolic rate at the same time.
CAN REDUCE INFLAMMATION IN THE BODY AND BENEFIT HEART HEALTH
Intermittent fasting has been shown to improve blood sugar levels, blood pressure, inflammatory markers, and so much more. This in turn can fight heart disease and inflammation.
CAN I ADD ANYTHING ELSE TO MY MORNING CUP OF COFFEE?
Yes you can, just not too much as it’s an easy way to break your fast. A few optional add ins would be as follows.
- Collagen peptides – these are optional but work well in hot liquids as they help froth the drink up nicely.
- Protein powders – make sure you’re having a high quality protein powder if you choose to incorporate it.
- For a bit of sweetness you can add sugar-free syrups, stevia or monk fruit sweetener.
Other Low Carb Meals You May Want To Try!
- Juicy Air Fryer Turkey Burgers (Healthy & Easy)
- Easy Low Carb Spaghetti Squash Recipe With Meat Sauce
- Low Carb Big Mac Salad Bowl
- Jalapeno Popper Stuffed Spaghetti Squash Recipe
- Low Carb Broccoli Cheese Soup Recipe (Better than Quiznos)
Bulletproof Coffee For Intermittent Fasting (Keto Recipe)
This Bulletproof Coffee Recipe is the perfect morning coffee for those on a keto diet, low-carb diet or trying to extend their fasting period. It's made with very basic ingredients and aids in fat burning by prolonging a fasted state.
- 1 cup black coffee
- 1 tbsp grass-fed butter
- 1/2 tbsp MCT oil, or coconut oil
- 1 scoop collagen peptides
- Combine all ingredients in a small blender. Blend on low for 5 seconds then turn up to high and blend for 15-20 seconds.
- It will be nice and frothy. Pour into a coffee mug and enjoy the best keto coffee.
- Optional - add a splash of unsweetened almond milk and your sugar free sweetener of choice for extra creaminess and sweetness.
Serving Size:1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g
IF YOU TRIED THIS RECIPE PLEASE LEAVE IT A COMMENT AND STAR RATING. I LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOUR CREATIONS! YOU CAN PIN THIS RECIPE ON PINTEREST OR SHARE ON INSTAGRAM BY TAGGING @basicswithbails and #basicswithbails
I love to bake, cook, exercise, and document all of the above. Nutrition is not low fat. It is not low calorie. It’s not feeling deprived or being hungry all the time. It’s nourishing your body with real, whole foods so that you are consistently satisfied and energized to live your life to the fullest! Read more…
The best!! I used to make this all the time, gotta get back on it.