For a quick TexMex meal that is worth every calorie, try my better-than-drive-through Taco Bell Crunchwrap Supreme Recipe. Layers of seasoned taco meat, melty nacho cheese, fresh veggies, a soft flour tortilla, and a crunchy tostada shell make this a family favorite that tastes like the real thing.
Confession time: I love Taco Bell. I don’t order there very often, but when the craving for a naughty cheesy fast food meal hits, I get the Taco Bell Crunchwrap Supreme Recipe.
Have you ever had one? If you haven’t, it’s about to be your new obsession.
This better-than-the-drive-through version of taco bell’s crunchwrap supreme features layers of crunchy tostada shell, seasoned ground beef, melty nacho cheese sauce, tangy sour cream, all wrapped in large burrito size flour tortillas. Sounds pretty good, right?
The signature “crunch” inside the wrap comes from a crispy tostada shell hidden inside. These wraps are amazingly cheesy, perfectly seasoned and just the right amount of naughty.
If you ask me, a taco bell crunchwrap breakfast is the perfect way to enjoy a lazy Sunday! But this taco bell crunch wrap supreme recipe is also a great way to switch up taco night in your own kitchen!
The best part is how easily customizable they are. The next time you’ve got a craving, head to your nearest local grocery store for a few simple ingredients and make a homemade version.
Table of Contents
WHAT’S IN THE ORIGINAL VERSION OF THE CRUNCHWRAP SUPREME?
The Taco Bell Crunchwrap Supreme Recipe is a popular menu item from Taco Bell, a fast food chain specializing in Mexican-inspired cuisine. It is a taco-burrito hybrid wrapped in a hexagonal shape for the perfect handheld wrap.
It’s one of the favorite menu items as it’s the perfect size for a hearty meal, and the final product is always perfection.
INGREDIENTS FOR MAKING TACO BELL CRUNCHWRAP SUPREME
You will need the following ingredients listed below to make the Taco Bell Crunchwrap Supreme Recipe (the exact measurements and full recipe are in the printable recipe card at the bottom of the post):
- ground beef – you can use ground turkey or ground chicken instead if you prefer
- taco seasoning – you can use a store-bought taco seasoning mix or make your own taco seasoning using a chili powder, garlic powder and other seasonings to avoid the chemicals and added sodium in the taco mixes. Spicy or medium heat will both work!
- large flour tortillas – the largest ones you can find. The ones I used for 105 g each
- queso dip – you can opt for store-bought nacho cheese sauce but I like making it from scratch using the recipe for Vegan Nacho Cheese by Hot For Food. It’s vegan made with wholesome ingredients and has a bit of a kick to it!
- tostada shells – which are just the crunchy taco shells. If you can’t find these anywhere, tortilla chips will work just fine, or extra tortillas which you can air fry and make crunchy.
- cool sour cream – use reduced-fat sour cream or plain Greek yogurt instead for a healthier sub
- fresh tomatoes – nice and ripe
- lettuce – Iceberg or romaine is best here
- shredded cheddar cheese – pick a cheese with great melting qualities.I used marble cheese but mozzarella works great
- optional ad ins – black beans, refried beans, bell pepper, and hot sauce. All optional but even better for the taste buds.
HOW TO MAKE THIS TACO BELL COPYCAT RECIPE
- Using a large skillet or large saute pan, cook ground beef (I recommend high-quality meat) over medium heat until brown. Crumble the beef into smaller pieces with a wooden spoon as you go, this will take 4-5 minutes.
- Add taco seasoning to frying pan, then place the large tortillas on a flat surface. Add a spoonful of the meat mixture in the center of each tortilla – about the size of the tostada shell.
- Then add warm nacho cheese sauce on top of the meat and spread evenly. Top with tostada shell or crispy corn tortillas.
- Add a thin layer of sour cream (approximately a tablespoon of sour cream), then top with the diced ripe tomatoes, shredded lettuce, and shredded cheese. Use fresh ingredients for best results.
- Tightly fold the edges of the flour tortilla towards the center of the tortilla, creating pleats as you go. I have a video for this on my Instagram linked in this blog if you’d like to watch how it’s done.
- In the same large nonstick skillet or a small saucepan, heat oil. Add crunch wrap folded side down and cook until golden brown over medium-high heat. This should take 2-3 minutes. Flip over to other side and cook for another 1-2 minutes until golden brown.
- Continue with the remaining 3 and enjoy!
HOW MANY CALORIES ARE IN A CRUNCH WRAP SUPREME?
There are 530 calories in Taco Bell’s Crunchwraps. If using extra lean ground beef and light sour cream, you can cut that number down to as little as 400 calories for the whole thing!
This number will also vary if you’re cooking the ground beef with olive oil or if you’re using lower calorie cooking spray. Another tip would be to drain excess grease once the meat has cooked through.
HOW MUCH IS THE CRUNCHWRAP AT TACOBELL?
I really like creating copycat recipes like these crunch wraps because they are a great way to get that “fast food” flavor but guaranteed to be quite a bit better for you and probably cheaper, too!
Currently, one Taco Bell Crunchwrap Supreme Recipe costs $3.79 USD so for feeding your whole family, you’ll definitely save some money dishing up this homemade version.
CAN I MAKE THIS A VEGETARIAN CRUNCH WRAP?
You can make this crunchwrap supreme recipe meatless by adding veggie crumbles or beefless crumbles seasoned with taco spice. For dairy-free or vegan used some shredded vegan cheese and vegan nacho cheese as well as dairy-free yogurt.
HOW TO STORE
- Allow the Crunchwrap Supreme to cool down to room temperature before storing. If you store it while it’s still hot, it can create excess moisture and lead to sogginess.
- Wrap each Crunchwrap Supreme individually in aluminum foil, plastic wrap, or in a ziploc bag. This helps protect it from air exposure and helps maintain its shape.
- Place the wrapped Crunchwrap Supremes in an airtight container or sealable plastic bag. Make sure to remove as much air as possible from the bag before sealing.
- Store the Crunchwrap Supremes in the refrigerator. They can typically be stored for up to 2-3 days. Beyond that, the quality may start to decline.
- When you’re ready to enjoy the Crunchwrap Supreme, you can either reheat it in the oven, microwave, or air fryer basket. If using the oven, preheat it to around 350°F (175°C) and heat the wrapped Crunchwrap Supreme for about 10-15 minutes until warmed through. If using the microwave, remove the foil or plastic wrap and heat it on high for 1-2 minutes, checking frequently to avoid overheating.
Remember that the texture of the Crunchwrap Supreme may slightly change after refrigeration, as the ingredients may soften. It’s best to consume them fresh for the optimal taste and texture.
MORE FUN HEALTHY SNACKS & PARTY FOOD
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 package taco seasoning
- 4 extra large flour tortillas
- 3/4 cup nacho cheese
- 4 tostada shells
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tomato, diced
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Using a large skillet, cook ground beef over medium heat until brown. Crumble the beef into smaller pieces as you go. This will take 4-5 minutes. Then add taco seasoning.
- Place the flour tortilla on a flat surface. Add ground beef in the middle of the tortilla - about the size of the tostada shell. Then add nacho cheese overtop and spread evenly. Top with tostada shell.
- Layer on the sour cream evenly. Then top with the diced tomato, shredded lettuce, and shredded cheese.
- Tightly fold the edges of the large tortilla towards the center, creating pleats as you go. I have a video for this on my Instagram linked in this blog if you'd like to watch how it's done.
- In the same skillet, heat oil. Add crunch wrap seam-side down and cook until golden brown over medium heat. This should take 2-3 minutes. Flip over to other side and cook for another 1-2 minutes until golden brown.
- Continue with the remaining 3 crunch wrap supremes and enjoy!
The tortillas I used were 105g.
Can use full fat greek yogurt instead of the sour cream for a higher protein option.
I used marble cheese but mozza works great too.
Serving Size:1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 400Total Fat: 32gSaturated Fat: 25gTrans Fat: 2gUnsaturated Fat: 24gCholesterol: 183mgSodium: 1080mgCarbohydrates: 42gFiber: 3gSugar: 4gProtein: 48g
The nutrition information provided is calculated based on industry-standard software and should be used as a general guide only. The information may vary depending on ingredient substitutions, cooking techniques, and individual serving sizes. It is the responsibility of the reader to ensure the accuracy and appropriateness of the nutritional information provided. Always consult a qualified healthcare provider for personalized medical or nutritional advice.
I love to bake, cook, exercise, and document all of the above. Nutrition is not low fat. It is not low calorie. It’s not feeling deprived or being hungry all the time. It’s nourishing your body with real, whole foods so that you are consistently satisfied and energized to live your life to the fullest! Read more…