Mug Banana Cake
Simple, easy and packed with protein, this Healthy Glutenfree Banana Mug Cake is the perfect single-serving dessert for when you crave a slice of banana bread! Sprinkled with melty chocolate chips and pecans and done within minutes in the microwave – mug cake perfection!
This healthy banana mug cake is one of those easy and quick single-serving desserts that is great when you have a craving for banana bread or a banana cake. For those days when you need instant gratification and really only need a couple of bites. You know what I mean, right? This is your recipe! It’s basically a banana cake in a mug but dairy-free and gluten-free.
This easy protein mug cake can be whipped up in about 2 minutes and is filling thanks to added protein powder. Since it has bananas, egg and protein powder it definitely qualifies as healthy and I would totally eat this for breakfast.
Trust me, this light and fluffy oil-free banana bread mug cake is the perfect way to enjoy the flavour of banana bread without making an entire loaf.
For more healthy banana treats, also make sure to check out my Glutenfree Dairyfree Banana Bread Recipe and my Banana Bread Breakfast Cookies.
Table of Contents
INGREDIENTS FOR MAKING GLUTEN FREE BANANA MUG CAKES
- banana – we just need half a banana. The riper, the better.
- cinnamon and vanilla give this mug cake that cake batter flavour – use real vanilla extract for best flavour
- coconut flour makes this nice and moist
- baking powder gives the cake its rise
- we need an egg to bring the batter together
- the addition of vanilla protein powder makes this a high protein mug cake recipe – I love PEScience. As it’s a whey/casein blend, it bakes really well and won’t dry out your mug cake. I used the Gourmet Vanilla flavour for this recipe!
- almond milk is added to add extra moisture to this oil-free mug cake – any dairy-free milk will do
- toppings: chocolate chips and pecans
Tips for the best mug cakes:
My tips and tricks will ensure that it’s perfect every time:
- Use a ripe banana so that the mug cake is nice and sweet and does not need added sugar.
- Don’t forget the baking powder or you will end up with a flat mug cake.
- Mix the ingredients in a bowl first before adding them to your mug so that the batter is nice and smooth.
- Be sure not to over-bake the mug cake or it can get dense and dry. Remove it from the microwave as soon as the top doesn’t look “wet” anymore.
- Use a short, wide mug. This will give the banana mug cake enough space to rise and cook more evenly. You’ll also be able to see the mug cake rise better than if you use a tall mug.
CAN I MAKE THIS MUG CAKE IN THE OVEN
Yes, you can bake this mug cake in the preheated oven at 350F for about 10 minutes. Make sure you use an oven-safe ramekin and check after 10 minutes if it’s done.
While this banana mug cake is delicious just as-is straight from the microwave, I love topping it with:
- A drizzle of tahini or any other drippy nut butter
- maybe a sprinkle of sea salt
- Make a small batch of my white chocolate frosting I usually make for my oatmeal
- Or meld a tablespoon of dairy-free chocolate chips with a teaspoon of coconut oil and drizzle it over
- Use walnuts or hazelnuts instead of pecans or sprinkle some cocoa nibs on top
- You can totally make this a indulgent treat and top this banana mug cake with a scoop of your fav ice cream
Banana Mug Cake
Simple, easy and packed with protein, this Healthy Glutenfree Banana Mug Cake is the perfect single-serving dessert for when you crave a slice of banana bread! Sprinkled with melty chocolate chips and pecans and done within minutes in the microwave - mug cake perfection!
- 1/2 banana, mashed
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1.5 tbsp coconut flour
- 1 tbsp vanilla protein powder
- 2 tbsp almond milk
- chocolate chips
- Mix everything together in a small bowl or microwave safe mug.
- Add extra chocolate chips and pecans on top, and microwave for 1-2 minutes. Start with one minute and adjust time as all microwaves are very different.
Serving Size:1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g
Other Gluten Free Sweets You May Want To Try
Gluten Free Protein Chocolate Chip Cookies
4 Ingredient Vegan Rice Krispie Treats
Gluten Free Morning Glory Muffins
I LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOUR CREATIONS! YOU CAN PIN THIS RECIPE ON PINTEREST OR SHARE ON INSTAGRAM BY TAGGING @basicswithbails and #basicswithbails
I love to bake, cook, exercise, and document all of the above. Nutrition is not low fat. It is not low calorie. It’s not feeling deprived or being hungry all the time. It’s nourishing your body with real, whole foods so that you are consistently satisfied and energized to live your life to the fullest! Read more…