Made with simple ingredients and no need to chill the cookie dough, this is the best soft and chewy chocolate chip cookies recipe ever. Such an easy homemade recipe, with a soft chewy texture, these will turn out perfectly every time.
There’s something undeniably comforting about sinking your teeth into a warm, soft and chewy chocolate chip cookie. The heavenly combination of buttery dough and gooey chocolate chips creates a treat that instantly transports us back to childhood. Today, we’re excited to share our beloved recipe for Soft and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies that will leave you craving more with every bite.
Perfect for satisfying sweet cravings or bringing smiles to gatherings, these cookies are a classic that never goes out of style.
Everyone needs a classic chocolate chip cookie recipe in their lives! This is seriously the best cookies ever.
I used to make these all the time with my grandmother as a child, and have continued to make them in adulthood. Everyone that tries them agrees they are the perfect cookie and next level delicious!
So, preheat your oven and let’s embark on a delightful baking adventure!
Table of Contents
WHY THESE ARE THE BEST CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
The Soft and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies are often hailed as the best cookies ever for several compelling reasons:
Perfect Texture: These cookies strike the ideal balance between softness and chewiness. The exterior has a delightful light crunch, while the interior remains tender and chewy, creating a satisfying texture with each bite.
Rich Chocolate Flavor: The generous amount of semi-sweet chocolate chips ensures a luscious and intense chocolate flavor throughout the cookies. The melting chocolate adds a delightful gooeyness that chocolate lovers simply adore.
Classic and Timeless: Chocolate chip cookies are an all-time favorite, and this recipe stays true to the classic essence while elevating it with the perfect texture and chocolate chip-to-dough ratio.
Easy to Make: The straightforward recipe with common pantry ingredients makes it accessible to bakers of all levels, from novices to seasoned pros. Whether you’re a beginner or an experienced baker, you can achieve phenomenal results with this recipe the first time.
Versatility: While delicious on their own, these cookies are versatile enough to accommodate various add-ins. From nuts to dried fruits or even a pinch of sea salt on top, you can personalize them to your taste.
Nostalgic Comfort: The scent of warm cookies wafting through the house evokes nostalgic memories of childhood and cozy moments. They bring a sense of comfort and joy to anyone who enjoys them. Soon to become your favorite recipe too.
INGREDIENTS YOU WILL NEED FOR THE PERFECT CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE
You will need the following ingredients listed below to make the chewy cookies (the exact measurements, step-by-step instructions and full recipe are in the recipe card at the bottom of this post):
- Unsalted butter
- White Sugar
- Brown sugar – dark brown sugar or light brown sugar both work.
- Large eggs
- Vanilla extract
- All-purpose Flour
- Baking soda
- Sea salt
- Semisweet chocolate chips – dark chocolate chips, milk chocolate chips, or white chocolate chips all also work
HOW TO MAKE
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugars until combined.
- Beat in eggs and vanilla extract until fluffy.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to wet ingredients, then add in the semi-sweet chocolate chips.
- Using a teaspoon, drop the cookies onto the prepared baking sheet. You do not need to roll the dough into perfect balls of cookie dough. The more uneven they are, the more the cookies will resemble the photos in this post.
- Bake for approximately 8-10 minutes. Take them out when they are just BARELY starting to turn golden brown. They will look like they are not fully baked, but this is good to keep them soft and moist.
- Let them sit for a few minutes on the baking sheet before moving them to a wire rack.
TIPS FOR THE SOFT CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
These cookies are SO easy, but here are a few tips to ensure they are PERFECT every single time!
- Room temperature butter. I have used melted butter before and it hasn’t turned out the same! If you are planning on making these, take the butter out of the fridge in advance to get it to room temperature.
- How to measure flour correctly. I always measure all-purpose flour by scooping it into the measuring cup and making it level with a butter knife. This is the way my grandmother taught me, and how I have done it since!
- DO NOT over-bake these cookies! These chocolate chip cookies will not look done when you pull them out after 8 minutes, but this is perfectly fine! They will be softer and more chewy, and will cook a bit more on the baking sheet once they have been taken out of the oven.
- The more chocolate chips the BETTER. This speaks for itself!
STORING YOUR HOMEMADE CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE RECIPE
Storing Soft and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies properly will help maintain their freshness and delicious texture. Follow these tips to ensure they stay soft and tasty for as long as possible:
Cooling: Allow the cookies to cool completely on a wire rack after baking. This prevents moisture buildup and helps the cookies maintain their texture.
Airtight Container: Once the cookies have cooled, place them in an airtight container. Make sure the container is clean and dry before adding the cookies to prevent any moisture from affecting their texture.
Layer Separation: If you’re stacking multiple layers of cookies in the container, place a piece of parchment paper or wax paper between each layer to prevent them from sticking together.
Room Temperature: Store the container of cookies at room temperature in a cool and dry area of your kitchen. Avoid placing them in direct sunlight or near heat sources, as this can cause them to dry out.
CAN YOU FREEZE THESE DELICIOUS COOKIES?
Yes! These cookies are freezer-friendly! Freezing chocolate chip cookie dough is really easy.
- A lot of the time when I’m baking this recipe I will make a full batch, and roll half of them into cookie dough balls, place them on a cookie sheet and freeze the dough.
- After about an hour in the freezer I will transfer the balls to a sealed reusable container.
- When it’s time to bake the cookies, remove them from the freezer. Preheat the oven as normal.
- Bake the cookies for a minute or two longer since the dough is frozen. This is perfect for whenever the craving hits or when you need a big batch of fresh-baked cookies. I do it all the time!
Another method I use is thawing them first. When you’re ready to bake them, remove dough balls from freezer, set them on a parchment lined baking sheet and let them thaw.
Once they reach room temperature (after about 1-2 hours depending on the temperature of your kitchen) bake as directed in the recipe! SO easy!
The last method is by baking the ENTIRE batch, and freezing the remaining cookies you will not eat right away. This method is less fresh and you won’t get the cookies straight-out-of-the-oven-delicious.
But I have used this method SO many times and they are still amazing if you let them thaw, or warm them in the microwave!
HOW CAN I MAKE THESE COOKIES EVEN MORE CHEWY?
For extra chewiness, you can try increasing the brown sugar slightly in the recipe. The higher moisture content in brown sugar contributes to the chewiness of the cookies. You can also slightly underbake the cookies by reducing the baking time by a minute or two, which will keep the centers soft and gooey.
CAN I USE DIFFERENT TYPES OF CHOCOLATE CHIPS?
Absolutely! While semi-sweet chocolate chips are traditional, you can experiment with different types of chocolate chips or chocolate chunks. Milk chocolate, dark chocolate, or even white chocolate chips can be used to create variations in flavor.
CAN I MAKE THESE COOKIES GLUTEN FREE?
Yes, you can make gluten-free versions of these cookies by using a gluten-free all-purpose flour blend instead of regular all-purpose flour. Ensure that all other ingredients, including the chocolate chips, are also gluten-free.
You can also try my vegan gluten free chocolate chip cookies which are linked at the bottom of this post, and are incredible.
HOW CAN I ENSURE THESE STAY SOFT AFTER BAKING?
To maintain the softness of the cookies during storage, follow the proper storage tips mentioned earlier. Keep them in an airtight container at room temperature, and consider adding a slice of bread or a piece of apple to the container to retain moisture.
CAN I MAKE SMALLER COOKIES?
Yes, absolutely. You will have to adjust the baking time slightly so they don’t end up with extremely crispy edges.
Other Delicious Cookie Recipes you may want to try!
- Gluten Free Protein Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Vegan Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Cookies
- Salted Chocolate Brownie Cookies
- Vegan Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Gluten Free Vegan Peanut Butter Cookies
- 1 1/3 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- chocolate chips, the more the merrier
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a baking pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium size bowl, cream together butter and sugars until combined.
- Beat in eggs and vanilla until fluffy.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to wet ingredients, then add in chocolate chips.
- Using a teaspoon, drop the cookies onto the cookie sheet. You do not need to roll the dough into perfect balls. The more uneven they are, the more the cookies will resemble the photos in this post.
- Bake for approximately 8-10 minutes. Take them out when they are just BARELY starting to turn brown. They will look like they are not fully baked, but this is good to keep them soft and moist.
- Let them sit for a few minutes on the baking sheet before removing them to the baking rack.
Serving Size:1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 233Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 43mgSodium: 239mgCarbohydrates: 31gFiber: 1gSugar: 17gProtein: 3g
The nutrition information provided is calculated based on industry-standard software and should be used as a general guide only. The information may vary depending on ingredient substitutions, cooking techniques, and individual serving sizes. It is the responsibility of the reader to ensure the accuracy and appropriateness of the nutritional information provided. Always consult a qualified healthcare provider for personalized medical or nutritional advice.
IF YOU TRIED THIS EASY CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE RECIPE PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT AND STAR RATING. I LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOUR CREATIONS! YOU CAN PIN THIS RECIPE ON PINTEREST OR SHARE ON INSTAGRAM BY TAGGING @basicswithbails and #basicswithbails
I love to bake, cook, exercise, and document all of the above. Nutrition is not low fat. It is not low calorie. It’s not feeling deprived or being hungry all the time. It’s nourishing your body with real, whole foods so that you are consistently satisfied and energized to live your life to the fullest! Read more…