Easy Low Carb Spaghetti Squash Recipe With Meat Sauce
This Low Carb Spaghetti Squash Recipe With Meat Sauce is such an easy meal to prep for a busy weeknight. It’s a great alternative to traditional spaghetti if you’re trying to watch your carb intake, and pairs perfectly with a simple caesar salad.
Don’t get me wrong, traditional pasta is delicious. However when you’re celiac, gluten intolerant, or you’re just trying to cut down on carbs, cooked spaghetti squash is a great substitute.
There is also something satisfying about scrapping the inside of the squash. Spaghetti squash has a neutral taste and the flavors work perfectly with regular tomato sauce.
If you love low carb dinners you should also try my Jalapeno Popper Stuffed Spaghetti Squash or my Air Fryer Bacon Wrapped Chicken Breast Recipe.
Table of Contents
INGREDIENTS FOR THE LOW CARB SPAGHETTI SAUCE RECIPE
You will need the following ingredients listed below to make the baked spaghetti squash (the exact measurements and full recipe are in the recipe card at the bottom of the post):
- Medium spaghetti squash
- Olive oil or avocado oil
- Lean ground beef – or ground turkey for a leaner option.
- Medium yellow onion – or one small red onion
- Garlic cloves
- Bell pepper – red, orange or yellow pepper will all work.
- Fresh spinach
- Pasta sauce – can make your own with crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, and tomato sauce or you can purchase store-bought marinara sauce.
- Sea salt + black pepper
- Italian seasoning – any other spices can be added such as red pepper flakes, a teaspoon coriander, a teaspoon garlic powder, or a teaspoon paprika.
- Optional – parmesan cheese, mozzarella cheese, fresh basil, italian sausage, etc.
HOW TO COOK ENTIRE SQUASH
There are a few different ways to cook spaghetti squash. This is the most difficult and tedious part of the recipe, so once you have this figured out you’re in the clear.
I prefer the baking method as it’s always been the way I cook spaghetti squash, however you can use the Instant Pot for a quicker method! For all the best methods check out my blog post How To Cook Spaghetti Squash Whole.
ROASTING IT IN THE OVEN
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Place the spaghetti squash cut side down on the baking sheet lined with parchment paper and use a fork to poke holes. Roast for 30 to 40 minutes or until lightly browned on the outside, fork tender, but still a litte bit firm.
The time will vary depending on the size of your squash. I also find that the timing can vary from squash to squash.
Remove from the oven and flip the squash so that it’s cut side up. When cool to the touch, use a fork to scrape and fluff the strands from the sides of the squash to make noodle-like strands.
COOKING IT IN THE INSTANT POT
This will take about half the amount of time, so for some this will probably be the more desirable method.
Cut the spaghetti squash the same way as the oven method and place in Instant Pot. Use the pressure cook or manual button to set the pressure cooker to cook at high pressure for 7 minutes.
When the timer goes off, carefully turn the steam release valve to Venting, to quickly release any remaining steam pressure.
To serve the squash, use the tines of a fork to separate the cooked pieces into spaghetti-like strands and remove them from the hard shell.
COOKING THE MEAT SAUCE
Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the ground beef and onion and cook for 7-8 minutes until beef is browned and onions are translucent.
Add in the chopped garlic and bell pepper and cook for 2-3 minutes. Then add in the chopped spinach, marinara sauce, salt, pepper and italian seasoning.
Let simmer for 10-15 minutes, covered. Serve the meat sauce over the spaghetti squash on a plate, or back inside the squash halves to make spaghetti boats.
Other Delicious Savoury Meals You May Want To Try!
- Juicy Air Fryer Turkey Burgers (Healthy & Easy)
- KFC Style Popcorn Chicken (Vegan)
- Taco Bell Crunch Wrap Supreme
- Viral TikTok Salmon Rice Bowl With Seaweed
- The Best Vegan Buffalo Cauliflower Wings (Gluten Free, Healthy)
Easy Low Carb Spaghetti Squash Recipe With Meat Sauce
This Low Carb Spaghetti Squash Recipe With Meat Sauce is such an easy meal to prep for a busy weeknight. It's a great alternative to traditional spaghetti if you're trying to watch your carb intake, and pairs perfectly with a simple caesar salad.
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 1 600g pack lean ground beef, grass fed
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 2-3 cloves of garlic
- 1 bell pepper
- 2 big handfuls spinach
- 3 cups pasta sauce, I used Prego (approx 1L)
- salt + pepper
- 2 tsp italian seasoning
- fresh herbs, parmesan cheese, cheddar cheese, optional
- Prepare your spaghetti squash using one of the methods listed above.
- Then begin preparing your meat sauce. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the ground beef and onion and cook for 7-8 minutes until the beef is browned and onions are translucent.
- Add in the chopped garlic and bell pepper and cook for another 2-3 minutes. Then add in the chopped spinach, pasta sauce, salt, pepper and italian seasonings.
- Let simmer for 10-15 minutes, covered. Serve the meat sauce over the spaghetti squash on a plate with freshly grated parmesan cheese. You can also mix together the spaghetti squash and meat sauce and put it back inside the squash halves to make spaghetti boats. Add shredded cheddar cheese on top and put back in the oven for a few minutes to melt.
Serving Size:1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g
IF YOU TRIED THIS RECIPE PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT IN THE COMMENT SECTION AND STAR RATING. I LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOUR CREATIONS! YOU CAN PIN THIS RECIPE ON PINTEREST OR SHARE ON INSTAGRAM BY TAGGING @basicswithbails and #basicswithbails
I love to bake, cook, exercise, and document all of the above. Nutrition is not low fat. It is not low calorie. It’s not feeling deprived or being hungry all the time. It’s nourishing your body with real, whole foods so that you are consistently satisfied and energized to live your life to the fullest! Read more…