These Homemade Air Fryer Steak Fries are the perfect side dish with burgers, tacos, or chicken tenders. They have a quick cook time and use very little oil so they are much healthier than fried french fries or fries from the grocery store.
French fries are one of the best things in life, am I right? Curly fries, waffle fries, thinner fries, thicker fries, all different types of fries.
One thing I absolutely love about air fry steak fries is that a lot less oil is used, so the nutritional information is actually pretty decent on them. The cooking process uses hot air instead of extra oil, and they still turn out super crispy.
I love pairing them with my favorite sauce and veggie burgers, but there are so many different things to enjoy them with.
If you enjoy simple air fryer recipes you may also enjoy my Crispy Air Fryer Tofu Nuggets (Vegan & Gluten Free) and my Juicy Air Fryer Turkey Burgers.
Table of Contents
INGREDIENTS FOR HOMEMADE STEAK FRIES
You will need the following ingredients listed below to make the air fryer potato wedges (the exact measurements and full recipe are in the recipe card at the bottom of the post):
- Russet potatoes – the starch in russet potatoes works great to puff up and crisp the fries. They have the rich, buttery flavor that everyone knows and loves in a potato.
- Olive oil – I prefer using a good quality olive oil for these homemade fries, instead of vegetable oil. You could also use something flavored like garlic oil, truffle oil or chili oil for something with a kick.
- Sea salt & black pepper – other spices that you could use are garlic powder, onion powder, cajun, chili powder, etc.
- Optional – parmesan cheese, your favorite fry sauce such as honey mustard, barbecue sauce, ranch dressing, or ketchup.
HOW TO MAKE THE AIR FRYER FRIES
Wash potatoes thoroughly and cut into wedges on a cutting board. Place in a large bowl.
Add olive oil and seasonings to the potatoes and toss to combine. Make sure everything is evenly coated.
Add to the air fryer basket in a single layer so they are not touching.
Air fry at 400 degrees F for 15-20 minutes, flipping and tossing half way through.
Remove from fryer and serve with ketchup or your favorite dipping sauce. I like to add fresh herbs and course sea salt as well.
WHAT TYPE OF POTATOES SHOULD I USE FOR AIR FRYER FRENCH FRIES?
My favorite type of potato to use for this recipe is russet potatoes, however you can also use Yukon Golds as well.
HOW CAN I GET THE HOMEMADE AIR FRYER STEAK FRIES EXTRA CRISPY?
These potatoes will get crispy, however if you want them to have an extra crispy texture you can soak them in cold water after chopping. This is the easiest way to allow them to release their starches so the outside gets crunchy while the inside is light and delicious.
If you choose to follow this step, ensure you dry the potatoes completely with paper towels or a dish towel before air frying.
BEST TIPS AND TRICKS FOR AIR FRYING
Make sure you’re cooking in batches if you want delicious crispy fries. If they’re too crowded, the potatoes will steam inside the air fryer, creating soggy fries and they won’t get crispy.
I cook the 2 russet potatoes in 2-3 batches so they aren’t touching each other.
To check for doneness you need to taste them. It’s very hard to tell if the fries are done just by looking at them.
Oil sprays can come in handy when making this french fries recipe. Avocado oil spray is my absolute favorite as it has high smoke point so the fries won’t burn.
WHAT DO I DO WITH LEFTOVER FRIES?
Unfortunately these fries don’t taste the best as leftovers. I recommend making as many as you think you will eat instead of them losing their crisp in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Other Delicious Savoury Appetizers You May Like To Try
- Bacon Wrapped Dates Stuffed With Goat Cheese
- Gluten Free Pizza Bites
- KFC Style Popcorn Chicken Recipe (Vegan)
- The Best Vegan Buffalo Cauliflower Wings (Gluten Free, Easy)
- Air Fryer Sweet Potato Gnocchi
- Big Mac Smash Burger Tacos
- 2 russet potatoes
- 2 tbsp avocado or olive oil
- salt + pepper + cajun
- Wash potatoes thoroughly and cut into wedges on a cutting board. Place in a large bowl.
- Add olive oil and seasonings to the potatoes and toss to combine. Make sure everything is evenly coated.
- Add to the air fryer basket in a single layer so they are not touching.
- Air fry at 400 degrees F for 15-18 minutes, flipping and tossing half way through.
- Remove from fryer and serve with ketchup or your favorite dipping sauce. I like to add fresh herbs and course sea salt as well.
Serving Size:1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 124Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 158mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 3gSugar: 1gProtein: 2g
The nutrition information provided is calculated based on industry-standard software and should be used as a general guide only. The information may vary depending on ingredient substitutions, cooking techniques, and individual serving sizes. It is the responsibility of the reader to ensure the accuracy and appropriateness of the nutritional information provided. Always consult a qualified healthcare provider for personalized medical or nutritional advice.
I love to bake, cook, exercise, and document all of the above. Nutrition is not low fat. It is not low calorie. It’s not feeling deprived or being hungry all the time. It’s nourishing your body with real, whole foods so that you are consistently satisfied and energized to live your life to the fullest! Read more…