This Blueberry Matcha Latte Recipe is a fun twist on your morning tea routine. You can make a hot matcha latte or an iced version that all matcha lovers or skeptics will fall in love with.
Hear me out – you’re in the scorching hot summer heat, you’re sweating, a little bit dehydrated and your taste buds are dying for something cold.
You’re not in the mood for water, you think you’d prefer a new yummy beverage. You get served the highest quality iced blueberry matcha latte and it’s next level.
It’s a super simple recipe and all you need is a matcha shot, a bit of non-dairy milk of choice and and some blueberry flavor. Are you hooked yet?
You don’t need a milk frother or immersion blender or anything fancy. Just some simple ingredients, a small regular whisk and you are laughing, my friend.
But first let’s get into what high quality matcha is, and all the health benefits, shall we?
Table of Contents
WHAT IS MATCHA?
Matcha is a high-grade green tea ground into powdered form. The green tea powder is whisked into hot water, instead of steeped, to form a frothy drink.
The meditative act of preparing, presenting, and sipping matcha is the backbone of the Japanese tea ceremony. While matcha’s origins are ceremonial, the green tea powder is widely popular around the world in beverages like tea lattes or boba tea, and as a cooking ingredient in everything from ice cream to salad dressing.
There are different grades of matcha, one being ceremonial and one being culinary. Ceremonial is classified as a higher grade and has a more vibrant green color.
WHAT IS A LAYERED BLUEBERRY MATCHA LATTE?
It’s a refreshing drink with blended fresh or frozen blueberries, milk, and matcha green tea. This creamy drink is fruity, refreshing, and really simple to make.
Since matcha recipes typically have some bitterness to them, this matcha blueberry latte is the perfect drink to cut down on the bitter taste. The blueberry jam layer is made with real blueberries and a little sugar to add some sweetness.
INGREDIENTS FOR THE ICED BLUEBERRY MATCHA LATTE RECIPE
You will need the following ingredients listed below to make this matcha drink (the exact measurements and full recipe are in the recipe card at the bottom of this post):
- Frozen blueberries – or fresh blueberries for the blueberry puree.
- Granulated white sugar – you can also use honey, maple syrup, agave or any type of liquid sweetener if you prefer. Another option would be a vanilla simple syrup.
- Cold water and hot water
- Matcha powder – ceremonial matcha is best but you can also use culinary grade matcha or any type of green tea powder.
- Almond milk – or your favorite milk of choice such as coconut milk, oat milk, whole milk, cashew milk, soy milk, cow’s milk, etc.
- Optional – a splash of lemon juice, boba pearls, or a touch of heavy whipping cream to make it even thicker and creamy.
HOW TO MAKE THE BLUEBERRY SAUCE MATCHA LATTE
Add frozen blueberries to a high powdered blender with white sugar and blend until puree forms. Alternatively if using fresh blueberries you can use a small bowl and puree using the back of a fork or potato masher.
Another option is adding the frozen berries to a small saucepan with the sugar and breaking them down until the sugar dissolves over medium-low heat.
Using a matcha whisk, whisk matcha in hot water until frothy. You can also use an electric frother if you have one.
Add the blueberry puree to the bottom of the glass, followed by the ice cubes. Then slowly add in your milk and top with matcha layer.
Serve and enjoy!
TIPS FOR MAKING THE PERFECT LAYERED EFFECT
To make perfectly distinct layers, you want the heaviest and coldest layer first. I like starting with the blueberry mixture first and then follow it with the ice cubes.
Next you will add the plant-based milk or milk of your choice very slowly. You can position a spoon with the tip against the walls of the cup and pour the milk onto the spoon so that it slowly comes out onto the surface of the strawberry syrup.
Lastly you will end with the matcha tea, using the safe technique as above. It works better if the matcha is lukewarm as oppose to still very hot.
WANT SOME FUN DRINK & FOOD IDEAS? CHECK THESE OUT!
- Iced Strawberry Matcha Latte Recipe
- Copycat Starbucks Chai Tea Latte
- Vegan Gluten Free Protein Bars With Dark Chocolate
- Quick Low Carb Tortilla Pizza Recipe
- Crispy Air Fryer Tofu Nuggets (Vegan & Gluten Free)
FOR BLUEBERRY PUREE LAYER
- 1/2 cup frozen blueberries
- 2 tbsp white sugar
- 1 tbsp cold water
FOR MATCHA LAYER
- 1 1/2 tsp matcha
- 3 1/2 tbsp hot water
- 3/4 cup almond milk
- ice cubes
- Add frozen blueberries to a high powdered blender with white sugar and blend until puree forms. Alternatively if using fresh blueberries you can use a small bowl and puree using the back of a fork or potato masher.
- Another option is adding the frozen berries to a small saucepan with the sugar and breaking them down until the sugar dissolves over medium-low heat.
- Using a matcha whisk, whisk matcha in hot water until frothy. You can also use an hand held electric frother if you have one.
- Add the blueberry puree to the bottom of the glass, followed by the ice cubes. Then slowly add in your milk and top with matcha layer. Serve and enjoy!
Serving Size:1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 179Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 12mgCarbohydrates: 41gFiber: 3gSugar: 37gProtein: 1g
The nutrition information provided is calculated based on industry-standard software and should be used as a general guide only. The information may vary depending on ingredient substitutions, cooking techniques, and individual serving sizes. It is the responsibility of the reader to ensure the accuracy and appropriateness of the nutritional information provided. Always consult a qualified healthcare provider for personalized medical or nutritional advice.
I love to bake, cook, exercise, and document all of the above. Nutrition is not low fat. It is not low calorie. It’s not feeling deprived or being hungry all the time. It’s nourishing your body with real, whole foods so that you are consistently satisfied and energized to live your life to the fullest! Read more…