It doesn’t have to actually be your birthday to dig into a bowl of birthday cake baked oatmeal – but these delicious and healthy baked oats will sure make you want to celebrate! My version of the popular birthday cake baked oats Tiktok trend is loaded with funfetti sprinkles and lots of protein goodness. This easy recipe makes the best birthday cake oats!
Viral recipe trends can either be brilliant or a total bust, but they are at least (mostly) fun to try and see what all the fuss is about. I was definitely curious when I saw birthday cake baked oats on Tiktok, and just had to give it a whirl… And I’m so glad I did because WOW this recipe is a winner!
Simply combine 7 wholesome ingredients in a blender, mix in colourful sprinkles, and bake for less than 30 minutes. The birthday cake oats are then topped with a high protein “icing” made with creamy yogurt and your sweetener of choice – plus more sprinkles, of course!
This baked oatmeal seriously tastes just like a classic funfetti birthday cake that’s soft, fluffy, and unbelievably delicious.
Table of Contents
WHAT YOU NEED TO MAKE BIRTHDAY CAKE BAKED OATS
My easy recipe features gluten free oats, and is even easy to make vegan. Plus I add protein powder for an even healthier and more satisfying breakfast treat!
To make the birthday cake oatmeal you need:
- Gluten free oats – I prefer to use gluten free; however, you do not need to use GF-friendly.
- Banana – The riper a banana is, the sweeter it is. So use your choice of lighter yellow or fully ripe to get the amount of sweetness you want.
- Cashew butter – This nut butter is rich and creamy, with delicious nutty flavour. It also adds a nice bit of protein and healthy fat. You could also use almond butter or peanut butter, but note that the flavour will be slightly different.
- Almond extract – It gives the oatmeal that signature birthday cake flavor you know and love. Feel free to use vanilla extract to make vanilla baked oats.
- Almond milk – Use other dairy-free alternatives you prefer, like soy, cashew, or oat. Or you can use cow’s milk if you like.
- Protein powder – I am a big fan of the Cake Pop protein powder from PEScience. Use code BAILEY to save $$ at checkout.
- Sprinkles – Choose any colourful sprinkles you want!
For the healthy birthday cake icing you need:
- Yogurt – Use Greek yogurt, or coconut yogurt for a dairy-free and vegan recipe.
- Sweetener of choice – I use powdered sugar to make a classic thick icing. But honey also works well for a thick and creamy frosting.
And yes, more sprinkles on top!
(See the complete recipe card below for the full detailed measurements.)
ARE TIKTOK BAKED OATS HEALTHY?
They taste like a decadent dessert but yes, baked oats are actually quite healthy! Oats are incredibly nutrient dense, and while they are high in carbs they’re also high in fiber and keep you feeling full for longer.
And the combination of protein powder, cashew butter, and Greek yogurt makes this dish a true protein powerhouse. Perfect for breakfast!
HOW DO YOU STORE BIRTHDAY CAKE BAKED OATMEAL?
If you like to enjoy your oats warm, I suggest that you store the oatmeal funfetti cake separate from the yogurt icing.
Once the birthday cake protein oatmeal is cool from baking, cover the dish and store in the refrigerator for up to 4-5 days. Store the icing in another airtight container, and also keep in the fridge for a maximum of 5 days.
Alternatively, you can freeze the baked oatmeal for up to 3 months. Then make the topping fresh when ready to enjoy.
HOW DO YOU REHEAT HEALTHY BAKED PROTEIN OATS?
Bake in a 350F preheated oven for about 15 minutes, until warm throughout. Or pop in the microwave to quickly reheat the oatmeal.
WHAT OTHER FLAVOURS OF BAKED OATS CAN I MAKE?
- 1/2 cup certified gluten free oats
- 1/2 banana
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp cashew butter
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/2 scoop protein powder, I used PEScience Cake Pop - use code BAILEY at checkout for $$ off their products
- 1/3 cup coconut yogurt or greek yogurt
- sweetener of choice, I used powdered sugar, but honey also works well
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Mix oats in blender on high till fine flour forms. Then add remaining ingredients (except for sprinkles) and blend again until fully combined. Mix in sprinkles by hand.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Mix together ingredients for icing, and once removed from oven top with icing and sprinkles. Inhale!
Serving Size:1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 520Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 199mgSodium: 747mgCarbohydrates: 56gFiber: 7gSugar: 172gProtein: 48g
The nutrition information provided is calculated based on industry-standard software and should be used as a general guide only. The information may vary depending on ingredient substitutions, cooking techniques, and individual serving sizes. It is the responsibility of the reader to ensure the accuracy and appropriateness of the nutritional information provided. Always consult a qualified healthcare provider for personalized medical or nutritional advice.
Other Healthy Breakfast Recipes You May Like to Try
- Easy Vegan Breakfast Tacos
- Superfood Protein Breakfast Cookies (Gluten Free & Dairy Free)
- Thick Blueberry Cauliflower Smoothie Bowl
- Vegan Banana Chocolate Chip Sheet Pan Pancakes
- Vegan and Gluten Free Cinnamon Toast Crunch Cereal
I love to bake, cook, exercise, and document all of the above. Nutrition is not low fat. It is not low calorie. It’s not feeling deprived or being hungry all the time. It’s nourishing your body with real, whole foods so that you are consistently satisfied and energized to live your life to the fullest! Read more…