These High Protein Carrot Cake Overnight Oats are the best oatmeal recipe for lovers of dessert for breakfast! Enjoy all the delicious flavors of carrot cake while getting the benefits from this healthy breakfast option.
Coming at you with a healthy overnight oats recipe that you will want to keep handy for whenever you feel like dessert for breakfast! Carrot Cake Overnight Oats. Creamy oats loaded with sweet carrots, crunchy nuts, plump raisins, and a tangy white chocolate cream cheese frosting on top! Just like every delicious carrot cake should be.
I LOVE turning dessert flavors into healthy breakfasts (did you check out my Lemon Cheesecake Overnight Oats and Biscoff Overnight Oats ?). So it was really just a matter of time before I took inspiration from my favorite springtime dessert -carrot cake- and turned it into overnight oats.
Trust me, the flavor of carrot cake for breakfast is something you will be so happy to wake up to. This just might be one of the best overnight oats recipes I have come up with!
What I love about this recipe? It literally comes together in minutes but is incredibly fun to eat with all those different textures from the carrot cake add-ins. You will feel like you are eating a decadent dessert while actually fueling your body with all the nutrients you need first thing in the morning. I add some protein powder to the oatmeal so these are actually Carrot Cake Protein Oats.
Table of Contents
OVERNIGHT OATS INGREDIENTS
You will need the following ingredients listed below to make the carrot oats (the exact measurements, nutrition information and full step-by-step instructions are in the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post):
- Certified gluten-free oats or quick oats – It’s not required to use gluten free for the recipe to work, but you can if you want to lower gluten content. Old-fashioned oats work but do not use steel cut oats as it will end up too chewy.
- Unsweetened Almond Milk – any plant milk will work here. Cashew milk, oat milk, coconut milk, or soy can be used and regular cow’s milk will do the job as well if you would prefer to use that.
- Chia Seeds – They help thicken the overnight oats by absorbing some of the liquid that might be seeping from the carrots. They are also a great source of healthy fats.
- Protein powder – one of the benefits of overnight oats is you can turn them into a protein-packed meal by simply adding in some protein power. My favorite protein powder is PEScience and you can use code BAILEY at checkout for a special deal on all their products!
- Carrot Cake Spices: a warming blend of cinnamon and nutmeg.
- shredded carrots – Use a box grater to shred the carrots.
- pecans – walnuts would be a great substitution and I think pistachios would also be delicious.
- raisins – if you’re not a fan of raisins, use cranberries or simply skip them.
- white chocolate chips – you can use a vegan brand for dairy-free.
- Greek yogurt – a vegan yogurt such as a thick coconut yogurt would be the best vegan substitution here.
- cream cheese – you can use your favorite brand of vegan cream cheese.
- optional – pure maple syrup, vanilla extract, almond butter, unsweetened coconut flakes, a pinch of salt, etc.
WHICH OATS ARE BEST FOR OVERNIGHT OATS
Old fashioned rolled oats are typically the best type of oats for making overnight oats. They will give you that satisfying creamy texture with just the right amount of chew in every bite.
Do not use steel-cut oats in the carrot cake oatmeal because they won’t soften enough to eat just with milk, unfortunately.
HOW TO STORE THE EASY CARROT CAKE OVERNIGHT OATS
Homemade Carrot Cake Overnight Oats offer a delightful and convenient breakfast option. To ensure their freshness and flavor, follow these storage guidelines:
- Airtight Containers: Transfer the cooled oats into an airtight container or mason jar. Opt for glass or plastic containers with secure lids that prevent air exposure and maintain the oats’ texture.
- Individual Portions: If you plan to enjoy the oats over multiple days, consider portioning them into individual serving-sized containers. This minimizes air exposure each time you open the container.
- Refrigeration: Place the airtight containers in the refrigerator. Homemade carrot cake overnight oats can typically be stored safely for up to 3-4 days.
CAN OVERNIGHT OATS BE HEATED?
Absolutely! While some people think that overnight oats are best eaten cold, you can absolutely warm them up when you crave the comfort of having something sweet and hot for breakfast. These carrot cake oats can be heated in the microwave for about one minute before serving.
CAN I BLEND OVERNIGHT OATS?
Yes, you can make blended carrot cake overnight oats. Add oats, milk, protein powder, and spices to a blender and blend on high speed for 30-60 seconds or until the mixture is smooth and creamy. Fill into containers, stir in your carrot cake add-ins and refrigerate. The texture will be like a thick smoothie. Add the topping the next day.
HOW MANY CALORIES ARE IN OVERNIGHT OATS?
Calorie count varies a lot depending on the recipe. If you want to keep these low cal, maybe skip the raisins as they are pretty calorie-dense, and serve the oats without the topping.
Overnight oatmeal is a great option for meal prep if you are following a low calorie diet or. They are very easy to track, and perfect to grab and go the next morning for convenience.
OTHER HEALTHY OATMEAL RECIPES YOU WILL WANT TO TRY
- Easy Blueberry Overnight Oats
- Gluten Free High Protein Carrot Cake Baked Oats
- Lemon Poppy Seed Baked Oats
- Strawberry Cheesecake Overnight Oats
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Overnight Oats
- 1/2 cup certified gluten free oats
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- 1/2 scoop vanilla protein powder
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 2 tbsp shredded carrots
- 1 tbsp pecans, chopped
- 1 tbsp raisins
FOR CHEESECAKE WHITE CHOCOLATE GANACHE
- 1/3 cup greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp white chocolate chips
- 1.5 tbsp cream cheese
- Add all oat ingredients to a bowl or jar. Stir well and refrigerate for a minimum of 1 hour.
- Microwave white chocolate in a small bowl. Mix in with Greek yogurt and room temperature cream cheese. I used a whisk to get rid of lumps.
- Remove oats from the refrigerator, and pour cream cheese ganache overtop. Put back in the fridge overnight to set.
- In the morning, top with more carrot shreds and pecan pieces! Grab and go!
I used PEScience Gourmet Vanilla protein powder - use code BAILEY at checkout for $$ off.
Serving Size:1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 526Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 30mgSodium: 151mgCarbohydrates: 61gFiber: 8gSugar: 26gProtein: 30g
The nutrition information provided is calculated based on industry-standard software and should be used as a general guide only. The information may vary depending on ingredient substitutions, cooking techniques, and individual serving sizes. It is the responsibility of the reader to ensure the accuracy and appropriateness of the nutritional information provided. Always consult a qualified healthcare provider for personalized medical or nutritional advice.
I love to bake, cook, exercise, and document all of the above. Nutrition is not low fat. It is not low calorie. It’s not feeling deprived or being hungry all the time. It’s nourishing your body with real, whole foods so that you are consistently satisfied and energized to live your life to the fullest! Read more…