This Oreo Overnight Oats Recipe is a perfect way to add extra protein to your diet for those busy weekday mornings. Made with greek yogurt and a scoop of protein powder, they are a great source of protein and the easiest make-ahead breakfast.
If you’re here right now, I’m assuming you enjoy a good old overnight oatmeal recipe. I’m the biggest fan oatmeal mixed with vanilla or chocolate protein powder.
Not only is it loaded with grams of protein, but it’s also made with super simple ingredients to get your morning started off on the right foot.
All you need to do is add the dry ingredients to the non-dairy milk and let it set overnight. An easy way to add even more protein is by adding the greek yogurt topping.
The next morning you can grab your breakfast recipe and run out the door knowing you’re getting a large portion of your protein intake first thing. Overnight oats are a great option for those who are busy and on-the-go.
If you love oatmeal you may also like to try my 15 Easy Protein Overnight Oats Recipe (Different Flavors) or my 11 Easy Protein Baked Oats Recipes (Gluten Free).
One of the best parts about protein overnight oats is how many variations you can do. You can add more healthy fats, reduce or increase added sugar, make it vegan and gluten-free, the options are endless. It’s a healthy breakfast option that you won’t get sick of because there are so many ways to prepare them.
Table of Contents
BASE INGREDIENTS FOR THESE OREO OVERNIGHT OATS
You will need the following healthy ingredients listed below to make these cookies and cream overnight oats (the exact measurements are in the recipe card below):
- Gluten-free rolled oats, quick oats, or old fashioned oats – It’s not required to use gluten free for the recipe to work, but you can if you want to lower gluten content. I do not recommend using steel-cut oats in this recipe.
- Unsweetened almond milk– any type of milk will work here such as soy milk, cashew milk, coconut milk, hemp milk, etc.
- Chia Seeds – They help thicken the overnight oats by absorbing some of the liquid that might be seeping from the almond milk. Chia overnight oats are the best kind of overnight oats! Can also use white chia seeds.
- Protein powder – one of the benefits of overnight oats is you can turn them into a protein-packed meal by simply adding in some protein power. My favourite protein powder is PEScience and you can use code BAILEY at checkout for a special deal on all their products!
- Pure maple syrup – this is completely optional for the coconut cream pie oats if you want your recipe a little bit sweeter.
- Plain greek yogurt – adding this will increase the amount of protein in the oats and also makes them the most creamy overnight oats recipe. Can use plant-based yogurt, vanilla yogurt, or plain yogurt.
- Cocoa powder – this is a great addition for the chocolate layer and arguably the best part.
- Cream cheese – this is optional but gives it extra flavor and a cheesecake like taste.
- Oreo cookies – can buy them pre-crushed or blend oreos in a blender or food processor. Alternatively you can use your favorite cookies.
HOW TO MAKE THIS EASY RECIPE
Add all oat ingredients to a mixing bowl or glass jar. Stir well and refrigerate for minimum 1 hour.
Mix together the greek yogurt, cocoa powder, maple syrup and cream cheese in a small bowl.
Once oat mixture is set, remove from refrigerator and layer them with chocolate layer. Then top oats with oreo pieces.
Put back in refrigerator overnight to set. Grab and go in the morning!
ARE OVERNIGHT OATS HEALTHY?
Are overnight oats good for you? Yes, protein oats offer a wide variety of health benefits.
They are rich in fibre and have a high protein content, especially with the added protein powder that is also added. They also contain a number of vitamins and minerals, some of which include manganese, phosphorus, magnesium, copper, iron and zinc.
This makes overnight oats healthy for your gut, as well as for overall health and well-being.
CAN I USE QUICK OATS FOR OVERNIGHT OATS
Yes, quick oats are rolled oats are best for protein powder overnight oats. For best results, do not use steel cut oats for any high protein overnight oats recipe.
BENEFITS OF OVERNIGHT OATS VS COOKED
The benefits of overnight oats are different when they are cooked vs when they are soaked. When you soak oats overnight, the process is much slower and longer than actually cooking them.
Soaking them helps the starches break down and will end up reducing the natural phytic acid. This may help your body utilize the oats nutrients more efficiently than if they were cooked.
WHAT IS THE BEST CONTAINER FOR OVERNIGHT OATS
There are lots of different options for protein overnight oats.
- Wide mouth mason jar or glass small jars- this option is very handy when prepping the overnight protein oats.
- Tupperware or meal prep containers – this option is great when you are prepping a bunch of protein powder overnight oats ahead of time. During the busy mornings you can just grab and go!
- A bowl – this is more so for the stay at home mom who may want to reheat your high protein overnight oats recipe in the morning!
CALORIES IN OVERNIGHT OATS
The calories in overnight oats recipes depends on many factors. If it’s a basic overnight oats flavour, something like a Chocolate Peanut Butter Overnight Oats it may be less calories than a recipe with a cream cheese greek yogurt ganache.
Something like an almond milk overnight oats will be less calories than an oat milk high protein oatmeal recipe.
An overnight oats recipe with protein powder will be more calories than a recipe without, however it will contain a lot more protein to keep you satiated throughout the day.
CAN YOU FREEZE OVERNIGHT OATS?
Yes, you absolutely can freeze these coconut overnight oats in an airtight container. It’s a great way to increase the shelf life on them.
Typically they can last up to 6 months in the freezer, however the texture and taste will change the longer they are frozen.
CAN YOU WARM UP OVERNIGHT OATS?
Overnight oats are typically served chilled, however if you prefer your protein oatmeal warm, then you can warm them up. Either remove the greek yogurt and heat the oats up in the microwave, or you can warm them over the stove.
CAN YOU MAKE OVERNIGHT OATS WITH WATER?
Yes, you can absolutely substitute water for almond milk or plant milks! This breakfast recipe may not end up being as creamy, but it will still work just fine.
CAN I DO DIFFERENT VARIATIONS OF THESE OATS?
Yes, you can use the same base oreo overnight oats recipe and add different thinks to make them unique flavors. Fresh fruit, chocolate chips, brown sugar, almond butter, coconut flakes, cottage cheese, a dash of cinnamon, or a teaspoon of vanilla extract are all great options to switch things up.
You can also use different types of oats like old-fashioned oats or instant oats and use a different type of protein powder. Vanilla protein powder, vegan protein powder, whey protein powder, or whatever your personal preference is.
This cookies and cream flavor is definitely one of my favorites though.
Other Healthy Overnight Oats Recipes You May Like To Try:
- 1/2 cup certified gluten free oats
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- 1/2 cup almond milk, or other non-dairy milk
- 1/2 scoop PEScience cookies and cream protein powder, can use code BAILEY at checkout to save $$ on all their products
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
FOR THICK CHOCOLATE PROTEIN LAYER
- 1/3 cup greek yogurt
- 1.5 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1.5 tbsp cream cheese, optional but gives it the cheesecake flavor
- crushed oreo pieces, can purchase them crushed or blend up an oreo in a blender or food processor
- Add all oat ingredients to a bowl or jar. Stir well and refrigerate for minimum 1 hour.
- Mix together the greek yogurt, cocoa powder, maple syrup and cream cheese in a small bowl.
- Once oats are set, remove from refrigerator and layer them with chocolate layer. Then add Oreo pieces.
- Put back in refrigerator overnight to set.
- Grab and go in the morning!
Serving Size:1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g
I love to bake, cook, exercise, and document all of the above. Nutrition is not low fat. It is not low calorie. It’s not feeling deprived or being hungry all the time. It’s nourishing your body with real, whole foods so that you are consistently satisfied and energized to live your life to the fullest! Read more…