These Taco Shells In The Air Fryer are an easy recipe perfect for taco night or Taco Tuesday. These hard shells are made with less oil than traditional tacos and are an easy way to turn soft tacos into a crispy tortilla in very little time.
If you’re a fan of tacos, you’ll know that the taco shell can make all the difference. A crispy, golden shell can elevate the flavor and texture of any taco, but it can be challenging to achieve that perfect crunch without deep-frying or baking them.
However, the air fryer is a great way for achieving a crunchy taco shell without the added oil and mess of deep-frying. In this blog post, we’ll show you how to cook taco shells in the air fryer to achieve that perfect crispy crunch.
If you love an easy air fryer recipe you may also want to try my Air Fryer Sweet Potato Gnocchi and my Crispy Air Fryer Tofu Nuggets (Vegan & Gluten Free).
Once you try this crispy air fryer tacos recipe you will be hooked! Using this technique you can also make homemade tortilla chips to pair with dips, a taco salad or make tortilla bowls.
This makes such a tasty meal that is easily customizable depending on your personal preference. You can make chicken tacos, beef tacos, and any of of your favorite fillings.
Depending on the type of air fryer you have, it will take a little more or less time to make the taco shells. Only 1-2 minutes in some air fryers and 2-3 minutes in others, but either way it’s taking very little time to make these crispy shells.
Table of Contents
WHY IS AIR FRYING BETTER THAN DEEP FRYING?
Air frying is often considered a healthier alternative to deep frying because it uses much less oil than traditional deep frying. Instead of completely submerging the food in hot oil, an air fryer uses hot air to circulate around the food in a single layer and cook it to a crispy texture.
This method results in food that is similar in texture and taste to deep-fried food but with significantly less oil. This means that air-fried food is generally lower in calories and fat than its deep-fried counterpart.
Additionally, air frying is more convenient than deep frying because it eliminates the need to handle hot oil in a large pot. Air fryers are also typically easier to clean than deep fryers.
However, it’s worth noting that air frying may not produce the exact same texture as deep frying, especially for certain foods like fried chicken or doughnuts. Nonetheless, air frying can be a healthier and more convenient alternative for many types of fried foods.
INGREDIENTS FOR THE HARD SHELL TACOS
You will need the following ingredients listed below to make these restaurant style tacos (the exact measurements and full recipe are in the recipe card at the bottom of the post):
- Soft corn tortillas – or small flour tortillas
- Optional – a little bit of oil for brushing or spraying the sides of the tortilla. Avocado oil spray, olive oil spray, vegetable oil, etc.
- Favorite toppings – taco meat, sour cream, fresh lettuce, tomatoes, hot sauce, melty cheese, refried beans, pico de gallo, lime juice, etc.
HOW TO MAKE THE HOMEMADE TACO SHELLS
Step 1: Preheat Your Air Fryer
Before we get started, you need to preheat your air fryer. Set your air fryer to 400°F and let it heat up for a few minutes, This will ensure that the taco shells cook evenly and become crispy.
Step 2: Prepare Your Taco Shells
While your air fryer is heating up, it’s time to prepare your taco shells. Take the number of taco shells you need and heat them in the microwave for .5-10 seconds to make them more pilable.
Step 3: Spray Your Taco Shells with Cooking Spray
Next, lightly spray your taco shells with non-stick cooking spray. This will help them get crispy and golden brown in the air fryer, be sure to spray both sides of the taco shells to ensure even cooking.
Step 4: Place Your Taco Shells in the Air Fryer
Once your taco shells are sprayed with cooking spray, place them in the air fryer basket in the taco shell stands. You may need to cook them in batches depending on the size of your air fryer.
Step 5: Cook
Cook your taco shells in the air fryer for 1-2 minutes, depending on how crispy you like them. Keep an eye on them to make sure they don’t burn.
Step 6: Remove Your Taco Shells from the Air Fryer
Once your taco shells are done, carefully remove them from the air fryer using tongs or a spatula. Let them cool for a few minutes before filling them with your favorite taco ingredients.
Step 7: Fill With Favorite Toppings
Now it’s time to fill your taco shells with your favorite ingredients. Whether you prefer ground beef with taco seasoning, chicken, or veggies, the possibilities are endless.
Top them off with shredded cheese, lettuce, salsa, and any other toppings you like.
You can also make air fryer tortilla chips using the same method. Such an easy and quick food hack that the entire family will love.
TIPS AND TRICKS FOR MAKING THE BEST AIR FRYER TACOS
- Use corn tortillas: Corn tortillas are the traditional choice for making taco shells. They have a slightly nutty flavor and are sturdy enough to hold the filling without breaking.
- Choose the right size: Make sure to choose tortillas that are the right size for your taco shell holders.
- Soften the tortillas: Softening the tortillas will make them easier to shape into taco shells. You can do this by wrapping the tortillas in a damp towel and microwaving them for 15-30 seconds or by lightly frying them in oil until they are pliable.
- Season the shells: For added flavor, you can season the taco shells with a sprinkle of salt, chili powder, or other spices before cooking.
CAN I BAKE THESE INSTEAD TO MAKE HARD TACO SHELLS?
Yes, baking the tortillas in the oven is another healthy option and can be just as tasty.
Preheat your oven to 375°F and lightly coat the tortillas with cooking spray. Place them on a baking sheet in the taco holders and bake for 8-10 minutes, or until golden brown and crispy.
HOW TO STORE THE AIR FRYER TACO SHELLS
Leftover tortillas can be stored in an airtight container or resealable plastic bag at room temperature for up to 2-3 days. It’s important to make sure they are completely cool before storing them to prevent any condensation from forming inside the container.
In conclusion, cooking taco shells in the air fryer is an easy and convenient way to achieve that perfect crunchy texture without the added oil and mess of deep-frying. By following these simple steps, you can make delicious and crispy taco shells that will take your taco game to the next level.
So, grab your air fryer, your favorite taco ingredients, and get cooking!
Other Delicious Air Fryer Recipes You May Like To Try
- Homemade Air Fryer Steak Fries
- Juicy Air Fryer Turkey Burgers
- Easy Air Fryer Hamburgers (Quick and Juicy)
- Air Fryer Pasta Chips (Viral Tiktok Recipe)
- Air Fryer Bacon Wrapped Chicken Breast Recipe
- 3 corn tortillas
- avocado oil spray
- Preheat your air fryer to 400°F and let it heat up for a few minutes, this will ensure that the taco shells cook evenly and become crispy.
- While your air fryer is heating up, prepare your taco shells. Take the number of taco shells you need and heat them in the microwave for 10-15 seconds to make them more pliable.
- Next, lightly spray your taco shells with non-stick cooking spray. This will help them get crispy and golden brown in the air fryer, be sure to spray both sides of the taco shells to ensure even cooking.
- Place them in the air fryer basket in the taco shell stands. You may need to cook them in batches depending on the size of your air fryer.
- Cook your taco shells in the air fryer for 2-3 minutes, depending on how crispy you like them. Keep an eye on them to make sure they don't burn.
- Once your taco shells are done, carefully remove them from the air fryer using tongs or a spatula. Let them cool for a few minutes before filling them with your favorite taco ingredients.
- Now it's time to fill your taco shells with your favorite ingredients. Whether you prefer ground beef with taco seasoning, chicken, or veggies, the possibilities are endless.
- Top them off with shredded cheese, lettuce, salsa, and any other toppings you like.
Serving Size:1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 94Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 11mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 2gSugar: 0gProtein: 1g
The nutrition information provided is calculated based on industry-standard software and should be used as a general guide only. The information may vary depending on ingredient substitutions, cooking techniques, and individual serving sizes. It is the responsibility of the reader to ensure the accuracy and appropriateness of the nutritional information provided. Always consult a qualified healthcare provider for personalized medical or nutritional advice.
I love to bake, cook, exercise, and document all of the above. Nutrition is not low fat. It is not low calorie. It’s not feeling deprived or being hungry all the time. It’s nourishing your body with real, whole foods so that you are consistently satisfied and energized to live your life to the fullest! Read more…