This Low Carb Big Mac Salad Bowl Recipe tastes JUST like a Big Mac from McDonald’s, but in the form of a salad. It includes the special sauce and is loaded with fresh lettuce, tomatoes, red onion and cheddar cheese so you know exactly what went into it.
I don’t eat McDonald’s often but every once in a while I have a craving for a fast food burger. This low carb Big Mac salad bowl recipe is my go-to for those days.
It’s basically a traditional big mac, but in salad form. It features the classic combination of hearty ground beef, crisp iceberg lettuce, onions, juicy tomatoes, melty shredded cheese, salty pickles and it’s all drizzled with a creamy Big Mac copycat dressing.
You could also call this a cheeseburger salad, but without thousand island dressing. Our dressing used very simple ingredients.
This Keto Mac salad is by far the healthiest way to enjoy all the flavors of a Big Mac. Trust me, you won’t even miss the bread with this big mac bowl recipe.
Homemade Macdonalds anything is always a huge hit with kids and adults alike! If you liked this Mcdonalds copycat recipe you would probably also enjoy my Taco Bell Crunch Wrap Supreme or my KFC Style Popcorn Chicken Recipe.
Table of Contents
WHAT’S IN THE MCDONALD’S BIG MAC SAUCE?
Now, this question has been asked many times and while I have no idea what’s in the McDonald’s Sauce, I can tell you that my copycat version tastes EXACTLY like McDonald’s secret sauce.
For my big mac copycat sauce, I use a mix of mayo, ketchup, relish, and mustard to which I add my secret Big Mac seasoning. Some vinegar is added to thin it all out again.
With all the main salad ingredients being pretty low in calories (apart from the cheese and cooked ground beef), you can make this a ridiculously big salad adding as much of the roma tomatoes, onion, and iceberg lettuce as you want.
This is a great option for a quick lunch when you have limited time or a busy week. It’s such an easy salad recipe that contains all the flavors of your favorite mcdonald Big Mac.
INGREDIENTS FOR MAKING THIS CHEESEBURGER SALAD RECIPE
You will need the following ingredients listed below to make this keto diet friendly salad (the exact measurements, nutritional values and full recipe are in the recipe card at the bottom of this post):
- crisp lettuce or darker leafy greens, red or white onions and fresh tomatoes are the base of the salad
- lean ground beef – lean ground meat like Ground chuck or ground turkey are great options as they contain 15 to 20% fat and is not as fatty as regular ground beef but still has good flavor. Another option is using pre made beef patties and crumbling them up.
- shredded cheese – cheddar is the most classic choice
- pickles – I like dill pickles. Try and pick ones that are low in sugar
- Sesame seeds – these are optional but replace the flavor of the sesame seed bun.
- the big mac dressing ingredients are mayo, yellow mustard, ketchup, sweet pickle relish, garlic powder, onion powder as well as paprika.
- white vinegar is used to thin out the dressing and give it some zest
HOW TO MAKE THE KETO BIG MAC SALAD RECIPE
Mix together all ingredients for copycat big mac sauce in a small bowl. Can be made ahead of time.
In a large skillet, brown ground beef over medium-high heat. Season with salt and pepper, strain fat, and set aside.
Alternatively you could use a burger patty and chop it up. Or for a vegan big mac salad you could use a plant based meat alternative.
Chop up the roma or grape tomatoes, dill pickles, red onion, and lettuce. Shred the cheddar cheese.
Combine all salad ingredients in a large bowl and add the cooked ground beef. Toss with homemade Big Mac salad dressing and enjoy your perfect big mac salad!
STORING THE BIG MAC BURGER BOWLS
The crisp romaine lettuce, cherry tomatoes and onions can be chopped ahead of time and stored in an airtight container.
The sauce will keep for at least a week in the fridge so if you want, make double. It works well with a variety of salads and also tastes amazing with grilled veggies or meats and is also great for dipping veggie sticks or pita chips.
You can also make this ahead and store the salad in separate containers for meal prep and add the dressing when you’re ready to eat.
CAN I MAKE THIS DELICIOUS SALAD VEGAN?
Vegan or not, we all have fast food cravings from time to time. Even though we may not all be craving an actual big mac, we can still crave similar flavors.
This easy recipe can easily be made vegan by swapping out the ground beef for a plant based beef alternative. You will also need to use vegan mayonnaise.
I have made this recipe both ways and it’s always been such a great lunch. It’s the perfect low-carb salad that the whole family will love.
IS THIS RECIPE SUITABLE FOR A LOW CARB DIET?
Because this recipe contains healthy fats and is very low in carbs, it’s perfect for a low carb diet. It’s one of the best keto recipes as it tastes like real thing without feeling guilty.
Other Delicious Savoury Comfort Foods You May Like To Try
- Air Fryer Bacon Wrapped Chicken Breast
- The Best Vegan Cauliflower Buffalo Wings (Gluten Free, Easy)
- Low Carb Broccoli Cheese Soup Recipe (Better Than Quinoz)
- Gluten Free Pizza Bites
- Viral TikTok Salmon Rice Bowl With Seaweed
- 1 lb ground beef
- salt + pepper
- 1 cup tomatoes, chopped
- 2/3 cup dill pickles, diced
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 7 cups iceburg lettuce, chopped
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- sesame seeds, for garnish
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp sugar free ketchup
- 1 tbsp mustard
- 2 tbsp relish
- 2 tsp white vinegar
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- Mix together all ingredients for Big Mac Salad Dressing in a small bowl. Can be made ahead of time.
- In a medium size skillet, cook the ground beef. Season with salt and pepper, strain fat, and set aside.
- Chop up the tomatoes, dill pickles, red onion, and lettuce. Shred the cheddar cheese.
- Combine all salad ingredients in a bowl. Add the cooked ground beef. Toss with homemade Big Mac salad dressing. Enjoy!
Can use plain greek yogurt in place of the mayo if you want higher protein.
Can use apple cider vinegar in place of the vinegar.
Serving Size:1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g
IF YOU TRIED THIS BIG MAC SALAD JAR PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT AND STAR RATING. I LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOUR CREATIONS! YOU CAN PIN THIS RECIPE ON PINTEREST OR SHARE ON INSTAGRAM BY TAGGING @basicswithbails and #basicswithbails
I love to bake, cook, exercise, and document all of the above. Nutrition is not low fat. It is not low calorie. It’s not feeling deprived or being hungry all the time. It’s nourishing your body with real, whole foods so that you are consistently satisfied and energized to live your life to the fullest! Read more…