The Best Ever Chocolate Zucchini Sheet Cake
The most indulgent and moist chocolate zucchini cake recipe ever! It’s loaded with chocolate chips and smothered in cream cheese frosting. Made with two cups of shredded zucchini that you won’t even know is there, this is the most fun and DELICIOUS way to eat your greens!
This cake is a family favourite and has been for MANY years. The recipe is from my french grandmother, we called her Memere, and it is easily one of my favourite chocolate cakes of all time (and trust me, I LOVE chocolate cake).
There are easily at least 19 of my extended family members that love and swear by this cake. IT’S A LEGEND!!
Adding zucchini into cake happens to be one of my favourite ways to keep cake moist without extra oil! I love this recipe because it’s only one layer and there’s no assembly or crazy decorating required. It’s also super easy to transport if you want to bring to a dinner party with friends!
Table of Contents
Ingredients you will need
- Butter (can use vegan butter)
- Olive Oil
- White sugar (can use coconut sugar)
- Vanilla Extract
- Milk (can use non-dairy milk)
- White Vinegar
- All-purpose flour
- Baking Powder
- Baking Soda
- Cream Cheese
- Icing Sugar
Creamy Cream Cheese Icing
I topped this chocolate zucchini cake with smooth, silky, and creamy cream cheese icing. It’s my favourite icing recipe ever! This recipe makes enough to ensure you get maximum cream cheese frosting in every bite!
If you would rather top this cake with chocolate frosting, add 2 tbsp cocoa and you’ve got yourself chocolate cream cheese icing that’s equally as delicious!
Regardless of which you choose, you’ll have enough frosting to frost the entire sheet cake and a little extra if you want to add a bit more to your individual pieces!
Why This Chocolate Zucchini Cake is the best
- SUPER rich and moist
- Bold chocolate flavour (if you’re a sucker for chocolate you will fall IN LOVE with this recipe)
- Very easy to make, and very hard to mess up!
- You are sneaking in 2 cups of vegetables inside that you won’t even notice
- Smothered with cream cheese icing
Why use butter AND oil in a cake?
I find this provides the best of both worlds. You get the wonderful flavour from the butter and the moist texture from the oil. This is because oil is a liquid at room temperature so it gives your palate the sensation of moisture.
Can I substitute the milk and butter and cream cheese for non dairy/vegan versions?
Yes, absolutely! I have done this recipe using margarine AND vegan butter instead of butter. I have also used almond milk instead of regular milk, and vegan cream cheese instead of normal cream cheese! Turns out beautifully! I only kept the regular ingredients in this recipe to honour my grandmother, but it can definitely be made dairy free!
does the chocolate zucchini cake freeze well?
Absolutely! Most of the time when I make this cake I actually freeze half the batch right off the bat (but that’s only because I live alone). If I leave it out I ended going back for seconds, thirds, sometimes fourths because it’s just THAT GOOD. Which is why I started freezing some, and my waistline has THANKED me for it!
I will typically ice the portion of the cake that I am leaving out at room temperature. I don’t ice the part that I am freezing, and freeze the cake and icing separately. When I’m ready to eat it, I defrost both the icing and cake, and then ice it! If you do happen to ice it before hand, no big deal! The only down side is if you microwave the iced cake, the icing melts into the cake slightly. In that case I end up just adding more icing, NO BIG DEAL THOUGH.
Easy Moist Chocolate Chip Zucchini Cake
- FOR THE CAKE
- 1/2 cup butter, can use vegan butter
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup milk, can use non dairy milk
- 2 tbsp vinegar
- 2 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
- 4 tbsp cocoa, sifted
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 cups shredded zucchini
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- FOR THE ICING
- 1/2 block cream cheese, can use vegan cream cheese
- 2 tbsp butter, can use vegan butter
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 9x13" pan.
- In a small bowl, mix together the milk and vinegar and let sit to thicken.
- Make the cake: In a medium size bowl, cream together the butter and oil.
- Add the sugar, and eggs one at a time. Then add the vanilla and milk mixture.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon.
- Pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix until completely combined. Then fold in the shredded zucchini and chocolate chips. Batter will be slightly thick.
- Pour batter into a 9x13" pan. Bake for 33-36 minutes or until the cake is baked through. To test for doneness, insert a toothpick into the center of the cake. If it comes out clean, it is done. Allow to cool completely in the pan set on a wire rack. The cake must be completely cool before frosting and assembling.
- Make the frosting: In a medium size bowl, cream the cream cheese and butter together using an electric mixer. Add the vanilla and icing sugar and continue blending.
- Cover the leftover cake and store at room temperature for 2-3 days or in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Serving Size:1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g
Other Chocolate recipes you may like to try!
Double Chocolate Sea Salt Fudge Brownies
Chocolate Chip Granola Bars
Double Chocolate Chip Mug Cakes
I LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOUR CREATIONS! YOU CAN PIN THIS RECIPE ON PINTEREST OR SHARE ON INSTAGRAM BY TAGGING @basicswithbails and #basicswithbails
I love to bake, cook, exercise, and document all of the above. Nutrition is not low fat. It is not low calorie. It’s not feeling deprived or being hungry all the time. It’s nourishing your body with real, whole foods so that you are consistently satisfied and energized to live your life to the fullest! Read more…
Yum. Would apple cider vinegar work or any other subs for the vinegar?
Hi Louise! Yes absolutely! I’m sure lemon juice would also work fine! 🙂
This is a recipe I tried out a few months ago to make a dessert with a friend dinner. They raved about it and STILL ask me to make it. Now it’s my go to dessert to make!
Want to make more of your recipes but I’m hesistant to use protein powder as I can never find one I like!