Gluten-Free And Dairy Free Blueberry Muffins
This Gluten-Free Blueberry Muffin Recipe is my go-to recipe for an allergen friendly dessert or easy breakfast option. It’s the perfect grab and go breakfast with simple swaps and a delicious blueberry flavor to start your morning off on the right foot.
Let’s imagine the perfect breakfast for a second, shall we? I love sweets, and I love muffins, especially muffin tops.
This is such a simple and great recipe made with gluten-free flour, dairy-free milk, and extra blueberries. It’s so much better than anything you’ll ever find at the grocery store, and you can make it in the comfort of your own home.
If you love easy sweet breakfast ideas you should also try my Healthy Oatmeal Protein Cookies and my Banana Chocolate Chip Sheet Pan Pancakes.
One of my favorite parts about this recipe is how easy it is to whip up. Just add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, add to a muffin pan, bake and let cool.
They are truly such delicious muffins with simple ingredients. One of the reasons I much prefer baking homemade muffins as oppose to store bought is because you know everything that’s going into them.
Grocery store bought muffins can sometimes contain tons of preservatives and the nutritional information would alarm you. These dairy free blueberry muffins contain only the cleanest ingredients so you can feel good about feeding them to your kids, or having one too many yourself.
Table of Contents
INGREDIENTS FOR THE GLUTEN-FREE BLUEBERRY MUFFINS
You will need the following ingredients listed below to make this muffin batter (the exact measurements and full recipe are in the recipe card at the bottom of this post):
- Vegan butter – can substitute for coconut oil, olive oil, avocado oil, vegetable oil or canola oil. Sometimes using oils in baked goods can yield in more tender muffins.
- Granulated white sugar or monkfruit sweetener – coconut sugar will also work however you will need more of it.
- Eggs – this is to provide structure and stability to the center of a muffin. There are two eggs in this recipe and I have no tried any egg replacements, but if you do please leave a comment on how they turned out.
- Vanilla extract – add flavor to this delicious recipe.
- Gluten-free flour blend – I like using a 1:1 gluten free all-purpose flour like bob’s red mill but any gluten-free flour with xanthan gum should work. You could also use almond flour or oat flour, however the amount may be slightly different.
- Baking powder – be sure it’s gluten-free as not all baking powders are.
- Sea salt
- Almond milk – any plant-based milk with a neutral flavor will work great here. Cashew milk, soy milk, and rice milk or homemade milk are all great options.
- Frozen blueberries – or fresh blueberries.
- Optional – pure maple syrup, chocolate chips, lemon juice & lemon zest, or a touch of cinnamon.
HOW TO MAKE THE DAIRY-FREE BLUEBERRY MUFFINS
Preheat oven to 350F. Grease the bottom of 11 muffin cups or add muffin liners.
In a medium bowl whisk together the gluten-free flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
In a separate large bowl using a stand mixer or hand mixer, cream together the butter and sugar. Then beat the eggs in one at a time, then the vanilla.
Add in the almond milk and then all the dry ingredients.
If using frozen blueberries, coat the blueberries in a tbsp or two of gluten-free flour so the blue/purple colour doesn’t leak too much into the muffins. Then fold the blueberries into the batter.
Fill all 11 muffin cups up and bake for 28-33 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean.
Let the blueberry muffins cool in the pan for approximately 5 minutes. Then place on a wire rack to cool a bit longer.
HOW TO STORE THE DAIRY-FREE MUFFINS
You can store the bakery-style muffin in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. They will dry out if you leave them out for too long, so fresh is best here.
CAN I FREEZE THE PALEO BLUEBERRY MUFFINS?
Yes, you can bake them off and allow them to come to room temperature, then put them in freezer-safe bags or in plastic wrap and freeze for up to 2 months. When you’re ready to eat them you can defrost in the refrigerator overnight or gently microwave them and they will be ready to go.
CAN I MAKE THESE MOIST BLUEBERRY MUFFINS WITH REGULAR BUTTER AND MILK?
Yes you can absolutely use regular butter and milk if you don’t require the dairy-free option. The two will be used 1 to 1 and the recipe will turn out perfectly.
As for the eggs, I have not tested it with egg replacements. An egg replacer or flax eggs typically work out well, however they sometimes will not yield as fluffy muffins.
DO I HAVE TO THAW THE FROZEN BLUEBERRIES?
No, you can use them straight out of the freezer. The only thing I strongly recommend is coating them in gluten-free flour so they purple/blue colour doesn’t bleed into the muffins.
If you’re using fresh juicy blueberries you can skip the coating step.
TIPS FOR MAKING THE BEST VEGAN BLUEBERRY MUFFINS
Ensure you are measuring your gluten-free flour properly. Instead of scooping your measuring cup into the flour bag, you are going to want to spoon the flour into the measuring cup.
This will yield the best results as sometimes we add a little bit too much flour from the scoop method.
This is a common mistake I see people making when making gluten-free muffins. You want to make sure you’re measuring this way with any type of flour.
Make sure you’re using cupcake liners in your muffin tin. This will ease the removal of the healthy blueberry muffins so you can move them over to the cooling rack with ease.
Do not substitute any type of gluten-free flour without doing some research. Gluten-free muffin recipes can be delicious, but they can also be a nightmare if the wrong ingredients are used.
I would strongly recommend staying away from coconut flour, almond meal, or any other flour that you’re not familiar baking with.
Other Delicious Sweet Treats You May Want To Try!
- Healthy Banana Bread Cookies (Vegan & Gluten Free)
- Perfect Vegan & Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 4 Ingredient No Bake Peanut Butter Fudge
- The Best Fluffy Plant Based Cinnamon Rolls
- Gluten Free Vegan Peanut Butter Cookies
Gluten-Free And Dairy Free Blueberry Muffins
This Gluten-Free Blueberry Muffin Recipe is my go-to recipe for an allergen friendly dessert or easy breakfast option. It's the perfect grab and go breakfast with simple swaps and a delicious blueberry flavor to start your morning off on the right foot.
- 1 3/4 cup gluten free flour blend, with xanthan gum
- 2 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup vegan butter
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar or monkfruit sweetener, Lakanto sweetner works great in this recipe
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1 1/4 cup blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease the bottom of 11 muffin cups or add muffin liners.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the gluten-free flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate large bowl using a stand mixer or hand mixer, cream together the butter and sugar. Then beat the eggs in one at a time, then the vanilla.
- Add in the almond milk and then all the dry ingredients.
- If using frozen blueberries, coat the blueberries in a tbsp or two of gluten-free flour so the blue/purple colour doesn't leak too much into the muffins. Then fold the blueberries into the batter.
- Fill all 11 muffin cups up and bake for 28-33 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let the blueberry muffins cool in the pan for approximately 5 minutes. Then place on a wire rack to cool a bit longer. ENJOY!
Serving Size:1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g
IF YOU TRIED THIS RECIPE PLEASE LEAVE IT A COMMENT AND STAR RATING. I LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOUR CREATIONS! YOU CAN PIN THIS RECIPE ON PINTEREST OR SHARE ON INSTAGRAM BY TAGGING @basicswithbails and #basicswithbails
I love to bake, cook, exercise, and document all of the above. Nutrition is not low fat. It is not low calorie. It’s not feeling deprived or being hungry all the time. It’s nourishing your body with real, whole foods so that you are consistently satisfied and energized to live your life to the fullest! Read more…