This Keto Chicken Fajita Casserole is an easy weeknight dinner that the whole family will love. Made with juicy chicken, gooey cheese, homemade fajita seasoning, and green peppers, this is a delicious casserole with simple ingredients.
Are you following a keto diet and craving the vibrant flavors of chicken fajitas? Look no further than this low carb chicken fajita casserole!
This Keto Chicken Fajita Casserole is packed with tender chicken, colorful bell peppers, and zesty spices, all while being low in carbs. It’s a satisfying and convenient dish that brings the deliciousness of fajitas to your keto-friendly menu.
Table of Contents
INGREDIENTS FOR THE KETO CHICKEN FAJITA CASSEROLE
You will need the following ingredients listed below to make this keto chicken casserole (the exact measurements, nutrition information and full recipe are in the recipe card at the bottom of this post):
- Avocado oil – or olive oil.
- Raw chicken breast – alternatively you can use rotisserie chicken or shredded chicken to save time. Boneless skinless chicken breasts or boneless skinless chicken thighs also work.
- Bell peppers – green bell pepper, red bell pepper, or any type of colorful peppers.
- My taco seasoning mix recipe – this includes spices like chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, sea salt, black pepper, ground cumin, sweet paprika, cayenne pepper, etc.
- Cream cheese
- Greek yogurt – can also use sour cream.
- Shredded cheddar cheese – monterey jack cheese would also be amazing for a bit more spice.
- Optional – black beans, green chiles, etc.
HOW TO MAKE THIS CASSEROLE DISH
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
In a large skillet or oven safe medium saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat. Cook chicken until fully cooked through then set aside.
In the same saucepan cook the onion for 3 minutes, then add in the bell peppers and cook to your liking. The cook time will depend if you like them crunchy or soft, but approximately 3-4 minutes is average.
Add the cooked chicken back to the pan and add the taco seasoning, cream cheese, and greek yogurt. Mix until fully combined.
Top with the shredded cheese and bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes until the cheese is bubbly.
HOW TO STORE
Storing the Keto Chicken Fajita Casserole properly will help maintain its freshness and ensure it stays safe to consume. Here’s how you can store it:
- Refrigerator Storage: If you have leftovers, allow the casserole to cool down to room temperature before transferring it to an airtight container or covering the baking dish tightly with plastic wrap or aluminum foil. Place it in the refrigerator within two hours of cooking. The casserole can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Portioning: Consider dividing the casserole into individual servings for meal prep before refrigerating. This way, you can easily reheat only the portions you need, reducing waste and maintaining the quality of the remaining casserole.
- Freezer Storage: If you want to store the casserole for a longer period, you can freeze it. Wrap the cooled casserole tightly in plastic wrap or place it in a freezer-safe container or freezer bags. Make sure to label the container with the date of preparation. The casserole can be frozen for up to 2-3 months.
- Thawing and Reheating: When ready to enjoy the frozen casserole, transfer it to the refrigerator and let it thaw overnight. Once thawed, reheat individual portions in the microwave or oven until heated through. If reheating in the oven, cover the dish with foil to prevent excessive drying.
- Quality Check: Before consuming the stored casserole, check for any signs of spoilage, such as off odors, mold growth, or unusual texture. If the casserole appears or smells off, it’s best to discard it.
WHAT DO I SERVE WITH THIS EASY CHICKEN FAJITA CASSEROLE?
- Cauliflower Rice: Serve the casserole over a bed of cauliflower rice. It’s a low-carb alternative to regular rice that complements the flavors of the chicken and fajita vegetables.
- Avocado Salsa: Prepare a fresh avocado salsa by combining diced avocado, tomatoes, red onion, cilantro, lime juice, salt, and pepper. The creamy and tangy salsa adds a refreshing element to the dish.
- Guacamole: Whip up a batch of homemade guacamole using ripe avocados, lime juice, cilantro, diced tomatoes, onions, and spices. It provides a creamy and flavorful element to balance the spices in the casserole.
- Sour Cream or Greek Yogurt: Top the casserole with a dollop of sour cream or Greek yogurt. These creamy toppings add a cool and tangy element to balance the spices and add richness to each bite.
- Side Green Salad: Serve the casserole with a side salad consisting of mixed greens, cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, and a light vinaigrette dressing. The crispness of the salad provides a refreshing contrast to the warm and savory casserole.
- Grilled Vegetables: Prepare a side of grilled vegetables like zucchini, eggplant, or asparagus. Lightly season the vegetables with olive oil, salt, and pepper before grilling. The smoky flavors and charred edges of the vegetables complement the fajita flavors.
- Keto or Low Carb Tortillas: If you’re looking for a more traditional fajita experience, serve the casserole with keto-friendly tortillas or lettuce wraps. Allow your guests to assemble their own fajitas using the chicken, sautéed bell peppers and onions, and any desired toppings.
TIPS AND TRICKS
Slice Chicken Evenly: To ensure even cooking, slice the chicken breasts into thin, uniform strips. This will help them cook more quickly and evenly.
Use a Variety of Bell Peppers: Opt for a mix of different colored bell peppers, such as red, green, and yellow, to add visual appeal to the dish. It will also provide a range of flavors and nutrients.
Adjust Spices to Taste: The spice measurements in the recipe are a starting point. Feel free to adjust the amounts of chili powder, cumin, paprika, salt, and pepper to suit your personal preferences for spiciness and flavor intensity.
Leftover Inspiration: If you have any leftover Keto Chicken Fajita Casserole, consider repurposing it as a filling for lettuce wraps, a topping for salads, or as a filling for keto-friendly tacos.
Other Easy Dinner Recipes You May Like To Try!
- Crispy Air Fryer Chicken Burgers
- 30 Low Carb Air Fryer Recipes
- Gluten Free High Protein Pizza Crust
- Air Fryer Bacon Wrapped Chicken Breasts
- Air Fryer Orange Chicken (Panda Express)
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 2 large chicken breasts
- 4 bell peppers
- 1 medium yellow onion
- Taco seasoning mix
- 1/4 cup light cream cheese
- 1 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large skillet or oven safe medium saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat. Cook chicken until fully cooked through then set aside.
- In the same saucepan cook the onion for 3 minutes, then add in the bell peppers and cook to your liking. The cook time will depend if you like them crunchy or soft, but approximately 3-4 minutes is average.
- Add the cooked chicken back to the pan and add the taco seasoning, cream cheese, and greek yogurt. Mix until fully combined.
- Top with the shredded cheese and bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes until the cheese is bubbly.
IF YOU TRIED THIS RECIPE PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT IN THE COMMENT SECTION AND STAR RATING. I LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOUR CREATIONS! YOU CAN PIN THIS RECIPE ON PINTEREST OR SHARE ON INSTAGRAM BY TAGGING @basicswithbails and #basicswithbails
I love to bake, cook, exercise, and document all of the above. Nutrition is not low fat. It is not low calorie. It’s not feeling deprived or being hungry all the time. It’s nourishing your body with real, whole foods so that you are consistently satisfied and energized to live your life to the fullest! Read more…