Low Carb Broccoli Cheese Soup Recipe (Better Than Quiznos)
This Low Carb Broccoli Cheese Soup Recipe is the perfect creamy soup for a cold day. It’s a great meal with common ingredients that can be made ahead for the week and is even better than next day.
Out of all broccoli cheese soup recipes I’ve purchased or made, this one takes the cake. I love almost all cream soups, but there is just something so special about traditional broccoli cheese soup.
I think this is the best broccoli cheese soup because it’s the best tasting, is meaty with chunks of broccoli, and is a low carb recipe. I can guarantee once you and your whole family try it, it will be a new favorite in the house!
If you’re looking so for something to pair with the broccoli cheese soup, my homemade 6 Ingredient Vegan Beer Bread tastes amazing with it!
If you’re following a ketogenic diet or low carb diet it does contain a small amount of flour. You can remove it it, however it will no longer be a thick soup.
This is honestly one of the most delicious recipes I’ve ever created. It takes a little bit of time to make, but it’s absolutely worth the effort, especially during the cooler weather.
Table of Contents
INGREDIENTS IN LOW CARB BROCCOLI CHEESE SOUP
You will need the following ingredients listed below to make this low-carb soup (the exact measurements and full recipe are in the recipe card at the bottom of the post):
- Butter – olive oil will also work to saute the onions and garlic.
- Fresh Broccoli
- Flour – this will yield a thicker soup, which we all love in a soup recipe. However if you want more of a keto version you can skip the flour for a less creamy texture.
- Half and half – if you can only find heavy whipping cream you will need to adjust this recipe and use a lot less with added water.
- Chicken broth – vegetable broth will also work here for a vegetarian option.
- Salt & pepper
- Shredded cheddar cheese – sharp cheddar cheese, marble cheese, or any other similar type of cheese will work. A pre-shredded cheese is best to save time.
HOW TO MAKE THIS BROCCOLI CHEDDAR SOUP RECIPE
Dice up your onions and garlic very small. They chop up your broccoli, making sure the broccoli florets are small, and chopping the broccoli stems into very small pieces.
Melt butter in small saucepan then saute onion in it. When onions are golden, stir in the garlic and broccoli and cook for 3-4 minutes, then set aside.
In a large pot melt the rest of the butter and add in flour over medium heat. Heat for 4-5 minutes stirring constantly with a whisk.
Add the heavy cream and the chicken stock and simmer for 15-20 minutes until it has thickened.
Add the onion, garlic, and broccoli mixture as well as the carrots. Cook over low heat for another 25-30 minutes until all veggies are tender.
Add lots of salt & pepper and pour half the mixture into a blender to puree the soup (or you can use an immersion blender). Return the soup to the pot and add grated cheese, then stir well.
Keep soup over low heat and stir in the nutmeg. Enjoy!
WHAT TO SERVE WITH BROCCOLI CHEESE SOUP
With the creamy melted cheese surrounding chunks of broccoli, it is no wonder this is a classic comforting soup, especially during the cold winter season.
A small salad such as a Strawberry Balsamic Spinach salad would pair beautifully with this because of the sweetness. Cheese scones or cornbread would also be a delicious option.
The other option would be a turkey avocado bacon panini or another type of warm comforting sandwich.
HOW LONG DOES BROCCOLI CHEESE SOUP LAST IN THE FRIDGE?
This keto broccoli cheese soup recipe will stay fresh in the fridge for up to 5 days. To reheat leftover soup, add the soup to a small pot and warm over low heat or in the microwave for 1-2 minutes.
CAN YOU FREEZE BROCCOLI CHEESE SOUP?
Yes, you can freeze this healthy broccoli cheese soup! Simply let it cool to room temperature, then freeze flat in freezer bags or in a freezer safe container.
Thaw it in the fridge completely the night before using.
Other Delicious Savoury Meals You May Want To Try!
- KFC Style Popcorn Chicken (Vegan)
- Taco Bell Crunch Wrap Supreme
- Viral TikTok Salmon Rice Bowl With Seaweed
- Copycat Starbucks Spinach Feta Wrap
- Air Fryer Sweet Potato Gnocchi
Low Carb Broccoli Cheese Soup Recipe (Better Than Quiznos)
This Low Carb Broccoli Cheese Soup Recipe is the perfect creamy soup for a cold day. It's a great meal with common ingredients that can be made ahead for the week and is even better than next day.
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2-3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/3 cup butter
- 2 cups carrots, grated
- 1.5 lbs broccoli, approx 1.5 rubber branded bunch - washed and cut (stems cut very finely)
- 1/3 cup white flour
- 4 cups half and half
- 4 cups chicken broth
- salt & pepper
- 1 1/4 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- Dice up your onions and garlic very small. Then chop up your broccoli, making sure the broccoli florets are small and the stems are in very small pieces.
- Melt butter in small saucepan then saute onion in it. When onion are golden, stir in the garlic and broccoli and cook for 3-4 minutes, then set aside.
- In a large pot, melt the rest of the butter and add in flour over medium heat. Heat for 4-5 minutes, stirring constantly with a whisk.
- Add the half and half and chicken stock and simmer for 15-20 minutes until it has thickened.
- Add the onion, garlic and broccoli mixture, as well as the carrots. Cook over low heat for another 25-30 minutes until all veggies are tender.
- Add lots of salt and pepper and pour half the mixture into a blender to puree the soup. Return the soup to the pot and add the grated cheese, then stir well.
- Keep soup over low heat and add in the nutmeg. Enjoy!
Serving Size:1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g
IF YOU TRIED THIS RECIPE PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT AND STAR RATING. I LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOUR CREATIONS! YOU CAN PIN THIS RECIPE ON PINTEREST OR SHARE ON INSTAGRAM BY TAGGING @basicswithbails and #basicswithbails
I love to bake, cook, exercise, and document all of the above. Nutrition is not low fat. It is not low calorie. It’s not feeling deprived or being hungry all the time. It’s nourishing your body with real, whole foods so that you are consistently satisfied and energized to live your life to the fullest! Read more…
Best. Soup. Ever. Low carb #chefskiss