This Mcdonald’s Big Mac Sauce Recipe is one of the best copycat recipes to enjoy on some beef patties with a side of french fries. This famous sauce is a great way to enjoy homemade burgers, without any added sugar and a simple ingredient list.
Mcdonald’s sauce is king, we all know this. The most perfect big mac sauce on a big mac burger with some Mcdonald’s french fries, what could be better?
This secret sauce is no joke. There are many different names for it, many simply call it thousand island dressing.
The thing I love most about this recipe is it’s made with such simple ingredients, many that you probably already have on hand. If you’re missing a few ingredients, it’s just a quick trip to the grocery store.
Let’s chit chat about a traditional big mac for a second. You’ve typically got a bottom bun, the tangy sauce, shredded lettuce, chopped white onion, pickles, a double patty, some cheddar cheese and you’ve got a beautiful triple bun creation.
In this homemade version of the Mcdonald’s special sauce recipe we use very basic ingredients yet it still tastes like the real thing! It has the perfect balance of sweet tanginess from the white vinegar to sweet from the sweet relish.
The next time you’re in the mood for some fast food but don’t want to to indulge in the real deal big mac burger from Mcdonald’s, you can whip up the sauce at home and add to any of the items listed below.
Table of Contents
DIFFERENT WAYS TO USE THIS HOMEMADE BIG MAC SAUCE RECIPE
This versatile sauce can be used in many different ways. A few of my favorite ways are:
- On a burger patty
- As a dipping sauce for chicken tenders, french fries or onion rings
- As creamy salad dressing in a big mac salad bowl
- The perfect sauce for a baked potato
- Adding it as a mayonnaise or miracle whip replacement on sandwiches
BIG MAC SAUCE INGREDIENTS
You will need the following ingredients listed below to make the big mac® sauce recipe (the exact measurements and full recipe are in the recipe card at the bottom of this post):
- Mayonnaise – or plain greek yogurt for a higher protein option. The quality of the mayonnaise will definitely affect the overall flavor of the sauce, so make sure it’s high quality and not miracle whip.
- Ketchup – I use sugar free ketchup but regular ketchup will work great.
- Yellow mustard – adds tanginess and acid to balance the flavors out.
- Sweet pickle relish – I prefer sweet pickle relish to dill pickle relish. It adds sweetness to the sauce without the grainy texture from added sugar.
- White vinegar – or apple cider vinegar
- Garlic powder – less than a tsp garlic powder
- Onion powder – less than a tsp onion powder
- Paprika – less than a tsp paprika
- Optional – sesame seeds to mimic a sesame seed bun, or sriratcha to spice the sauce up a bit.
HOW TO MAKE THE MCDONALD’S BIG MAC SAUCE RECIPE
In a small bowl, mix together all ingredients. Cover and put in the refrigerator for 2-3 hours or overnight for all the flavors to mix together.
Serve on burgers, with chicken nuggets or in a Big Mac Salad Bowl.
HOW TO STORE THE COPYCAT BIG MAC SAUCE RECIPE
You can store the leftover sauce in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. Because the homemade sauce isn’t made with preservatives, it will go bad much quicker than french dressing or the original formula you buy on a big mac burger.
IS THE HOMEMADE VERSION SIMILAR TO THE ORIGINAL BIG MAC SAUCE?
The homemade version aims to replicate the flavors of the original, offering a close match to the Big Mac sauce you enjoy at McDonald’s.
IS THIS SAUCE VEGAN-FRIENDLY OR GLUTEN FREE?
The traditional recipe contains mayonnaise, which may include eggs, making it not vegan. To make it gluten-free, ensure your mustard and relish are gluten-free varieties.
CAN I MAKE A LARGER BATCH AND STORE IT FOR LONGER?
It’s best to make the sauce in smaller batches to maintain its flavor and consistency. However, you can certainly adjust the recipe to make more if needed.
CAN I USE OTHER TYPES OF RELISH OR MUSTARD?
Feel free to experiment with different types of relish or mustard to create a unique twist on the classic Big Mac sauce.
Some Other Delicious Copycat Recipes You May Like To Try
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp ketchup, can use sugar free
- 1 tbsp yellow mustard
- 2 tbsp sweet pickle relish
- 2 tsp white vinegar, or apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- In a small bowl, mix together all ingredients. Cover and put in the refrigerator for 2-3 hours or overnight for all the flavors to mix together.
- Serve on burgers, with chicken nuggets or in a Big Mac Salad Bowl.
Serving Size:1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 108Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 6mgSodium: 178mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 0gSugar: 3gProtein: 0g
The nutrition information provided is calculated based on industry-standard software and should be used as a general guide only. The information may vary depending on ingredient substitutions, cooking techniques, and individual serving sizes. It is the responsibility of the reader to ensure the accuracy and appropriateness of the nutritional information provided. Always consult a qualified healthcare provider for personalized medical or nutritional advice.
I love to bake, cook, exercise, and document all of the above. Nutrition is not low fat. It is not low calorie. It’s not feeling deprived or being hungry all the time. It’s nourishing your body with real, whole foods so that you are consistently satisfied and energized to live your life to the fullest! Read more…