When the pizza craving hits but you’re on a low-carb diet, look no further than this cottage cheese pizza bowl. With all the delicious pizza flavors you’d have on a regular pizza night, without all the fat and calories.
Pizza has always been a beloved classic, capturing the hearts and taste buds of people worldwide. While traditional pizza is undeniably delicious, it can be quite heavy on the calories and carbs. If you’re looking for a lighter and healthier alternative that still satisfies your pizza cravings, the Cottage Cheese Pizza Bowl is your perfect solution!
Packed with protein, nutrients, and all the flavors you love, this wholesome dish offers a delightful and guilt-free pizza experience. Let’s dive into this delicious creation and discover the wonders of the Cottage Cheese Pizza Bowl!
Table of Contents
WHY USE COTTAGE CHEESE?
Cottage cheese is the star of this recipe, and for a good reason. Not only is it a rich source of protein, but it also boasts an array of essential nutrients such as calcium, vitamin B12, and phosphorus. The creamy and slightly tangy taste of cottage cheese perfectly complements the flavors of pizza toppings, making it an excellent substitute for traditional pizza crust.
INGREDIENTS YOU WILL NEED FOR THE PIZZA BOWL RECIPE
You will need the following ingredients listed below to make the low carb pizza bowl (the exact measurements and full recipe are in the printable recipe card at the bottom of the post):
- Fat-free cottage cheese
- Marinara sauce – or tomato sauce.
- Seasonings of choice – sea salt, black pepper, garlic powder or garlic salt, italian seasoning, etc.
- Favorite pizza toppings of choice – mushrooms, green peppers, black olives, cherry tomatoes, fresh basil, etc.
- Turkey pepperoni – can use regular pepperoni slices or italian sausage if preferred.
- Fresh mozzarella cheese – can use provolone cheese or cheddar cheese instead or simply a sprinkle of parmesan cheese.
DIRECTIONS ON HOW TO MAKE
Preparing the Cottage Cheese Base:
Using a blender or immersion blender, combine the cottage cheese, marinara sauce and seasonings. Blend until this becomes a creamy cottage cheese mixture.
Sautéing the Vegetables:
In a non-stick skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the veggies of choice. Sauté until the vegetables are slightly tender, about 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
Assembling the Cottage Cheese Pizza Bowl:
In an individual microwave-safe bowl or in oven-safe bowls, spoon in the cottage cheese mixture.
Adding the Toppings:
Layer the sautéed vegetables, cherry tomatoes, and black olives over the pizza sauce. For an extra burst of flavor, you can sprinkle some extra Italian seasoning or crushed red pepper flakes if desired.
The Final Touch:
Generously sprinkle shredded mozzarella cheese and add turkey pepperoni on top of the Cottage Cheese Pizza Bowl. Place the bowls in the microwave or in the oven at 400 degrees F for a few minutes until the cheese melts and becomes gooey and irresistible.
Garnish and Serve:
Remove the Cottage Cheese Pizza Bowls from the heat, garnish with fresh basil leaves if using, and serve immediately.
HEALTH BENEFITS OF THIS CRUSTLESS PIZZA BOWL
The Cottage Cheese Pizza Bowl offers a wealth of health benefits without sacrificing taste. Cottage cheese provides a high-quality protein source that supports muscle repair and helps keep you feeling full and satisfied.
The abundance of colorful vegetables ensures a variety of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants, promoting overall well-being. Additionally, using cottage cheese as the base instead of traditional pizza dough significantly reduces the carb content, making it an excellent option for those following low-carb or ketogenic diets.
Storing the Cottage Cheese Pizza Bowl is simple, and it allows you to enjoy any leftovers or make-ahead meals without sacrificing flavor or texture. Here’s how to store it properly:
- If you have leftover Cottage Cheese Pizza Bowl, transfer any remaining portions to an airtight container or cover the bowl with plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate the leftovers promptly, ideally within two hours of serving, to prevent the growth of harmful bacteria.
- The refrigerated pizza bowl can be safely stored for up to 2-3 days.
- To reheat the refrigerated Cottage Cheese Pizza Bowl, you can use either the microwave or oven.
- In the microwave: Place a portion in a microwave-safe dish, cover with a microwave-safe lid or microwave-safe plate, and heat for 1-2 minutes until the cheese is melted and the toppings are warmed through.
- In the oven: Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Transfer the pizza bowl to an oven-safe dish, cover with aluminum foil, and heat for about 10-15 minutes, or until thoroughly heated.
CAN I USE A DIFFERENT TYPE OF CHEESE FOR THIS RECIPE?
Absolutely! While the recipe suggests using shredded mozzarella cheese, you can experiment with other types of cheese to suit your taste preferences. Cheddar, feta, provolone, or even a blend of cheeses can be excellent alternatives to mozzarella.
IS IT NECESSARY TO SAUTE THE VEGETABLES BEFORE ADDING THEM TO PIZZA BOWL?
Sautéing the vegetables adds a lovely depth of flavor and makes them slightly tender, but it’s not mandatory. If you prefer raw vegetables, you can skip the sautéing step and use the vegetables as they are.
CAN I MAKE THE COTTAGE CHEESE PIZZA BOWL AHEAD OF TIME?
This pizza bowl is best served fresh, as the cottage cheese may release some moisture over time if stored for too long. However, you can prep the vegetables and have them ready to go, which will save time when assembling the pizza bowl just before serving.
CAN I SERVE THIS BOWL COLD?
While this recipe is meant to be served warm to melt the cheese, you can certainly enjoy it at room temperature or even cold if that’s your preference. The flavors will still be delicious!
CAN I USE OTHER PIZZA TOPPINGS?
Certainly! The beauty of this recipe lies in its versatility. Feel free to add your favorite toppings, such as artichoke hearts, green bell peppers, spinach, sun-dried tomatoes, or even pineapple for a Hawaiian twist. Could also try using bbq sauce and chicken for a bbq chicken cottage cheese pizza.
Other Delicious Recipes Using Cottage Cheese You May Want To Try!
- Edible Cottage Cheese Cookie Dough
- 3 Ingredient Creamy Cottage Cheese Ranch
- Chocolate Cottage Cheese Dessert Fruit Dip
- Copycat Starbucks Egg White Bites
- Viral Tiktok Strawberry Cheesecake Cottage Cheese Ice Cream
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup marinara sauce
- salt + black pepper
- 1 tsp italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
- 8 slices turkey pepperoni
- Using a blender or immersion blender, combine the cottage cheese, marinara sauce and seasonings. Blend until this becomes a creamy cottage cheese mixture.
- (If you're choosing to add veggies follow this step) In a non-stick skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the veggies of choice. Sauté until the vegetables are slightly tender, about 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In an individual microwave-safe bowl or in oven-safe bowls, spoon in the cottage cheese mixture.
- Layer the sautéed vegetables, cherry tomatoes, and black olives over the pizza sauce. For an extra burst of flavor, you can sprinkle some extra Italian seasoning or crushed red pepper flakes if desired.
- Generously sprinkle shredded mozzarella cheese and add turkey pepperoni on top of the Cottage Cheese Pizza Bowl. Place the bowls in the microwave for 2 minutes or in the oven/the air fryer at 400 degrees F for 5 minutes until the cheese melts and becomes gooey and irresistible.
- Remove the Cottage Cheese Pizza Bowls from the heat, garnish with fresh basil leaves if using, and serve immediately.
I added mushrooms to mine as well - you can add veggies of choice.
Can use different types of cheeses in place of mozzarella.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 415Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 81mgSodium: 2424mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 3gSugar: 13gProtein: 38g
The nutrition information provided is calculated based on industry-standard software and should be used as a general guide only. The information may vary depending on ingredient substitutions, cooking techniques, and individual serving sizes. It is the responsibility of the reader to ensure the accuracy and appropriateness of the nutritional information provided. Always consult a qualified healthcare provider for personalized medical or nutritional advice.
IF YOU TRIED THIS KETO-FRIENDLY PIZZA PLEASE LEAVE IT A COMMENT IN THE COMMENT SECTION AND STAR RATING. I LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOUR CREATIONS! YOU CAN PIN THIS RECIPE ON PINTEREST OR SHARE ON INSTAGRAM BY TAGGING @basicswithbails and #basicswithbails
I love to bake, cook, exercise, and document all of the above. Nutrition is not low fat. It is not low calorie. It’s not feeling deprived or being hungry all the time. It’s nourishing your body with real, whole foods so that you are consistently satisfied and energized to live your life to the fullest! Read more…